What is the monetization strategy in your product?

Julia Doronina
29 replies
We've been considering whether to offer a free trial or go for a freemium model. Which option do you support?

Replies

Thắng Võ
Recurring payments for access to a product or service.
André J
Launching soon!
In this economy, it's a must. SaaS retention is down 50% industry wide this year.
Sjoerd Handgraaf
Is this for LeaksID? Whether or not you should do Freemium really depends on several things: 1. Do you have a massive potential user base? If yes, then freemium can work. 2. Do you have potential network effects? Or, does more people using the product make the product better for everyone? If yes, freemium can work. 2.b (a bit of a subquestion) Do you expect free users to continue to use the product? If it doesn't become a habit, you're not gaining anything from them. 3. Cost vs margin: can you (financially) support tens of thousands of free accounts? Can you handle support operations that come with that scale? If yes, then freemium can work. If the answer to most of these are "no", I would not opt for a freemium model. Instead, I'd read these two articles: - How about a "reverse trial"? : https://amplitude.com/blog/rever... - Lessons from going freemium: https://www.lennysnewsletter.com...
John Robinson
@sjoerdhandgraaf This is a great answer. The only other idea I'd add is part of 2b. Is there a logical set of features that power users are going to be delighted to pay for? This is an old one to share, but I've gone back a few times to read Joel Spolsky talking about Trello in the early days as good context: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2...
Sjoerd Handgraaf
@john_robinson11 Excellent addition, and great link. I should really go through Joel's blog. I've come across a few times in the past.
Sansa Grey
Providing expertise or training related to the product for a fee.
Michael Gammon
We are doing a low friction free subs version with a paywall but we're pretty generous with it as we love getting the feedback from engaged users Julia, please follow me for our AI launch on Monday, cheers, Mike
Vincent Xu
I'd be happy to discuss the pros and cons of each option further to help you make the best decision for your product. Let's dive into the specifics and see what aligns best with your goals and user base.
Tyler Loyd
Charge a percentage or flat fee for each transaction conducted through your platform.
Aarav Krishna
Sell anonymized user data to third parties (ensuring compliance with privacy regulations).
Russ Halilov
We are offering our product for free for up to 5 meeting recordings. After that it's 18 or 25$ per month. We used to have a limit of 10 free recordings, but later realised that ppl who pay get the value after 3-5 recordings. Not 10. I would recommend to experiment.
Chirag
I think subscriptions work by offering ongoing value in exchange for ongoing payments.
Jangwon
I prefer free trial because it's important to let users experience all the value we offer in leading the paid conversion
Markk Tong
Launching soon!
When it comes to monetization strategy, there are a few factors to consider. Offering a free trial can be a great way to attract new users and showcase the value of your product. On the other hand, a freemium model allows users to access basic features for free while offering premium features for a subscription fee.
Lilybelle
Mike mentioned that they are launching an AI on Monday and they have a low friction free subscription version with a paywall. They are generous with it as they love getting feedback from engaged users. If you’re interested in following their launch, you can follow Mike. Good luck with the launch!
Sarthak Jain
our product lets you search across all your apps, at once. we provide search for free but AI-powered QnA on top of results is paid. btw we're launching today. would love your support :) https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Diksha Patro B
We have a freemium model along with an outcome-as-a-service at the other end of it,
Anshul Raghav
Apple asks for a refundable $1 for a service that they call free. I hope you got the idea.
Launching soon!
Free trial and then offer customized package according to business needs.
Our business model is subscription-based, with monthly or yearly payment options. Paying for a year offers a discount. Additionally, we have a Free version with limited features, but it can be used at no cost.