Where is the best place to start a community? 🤔

Luka Vasic
18 replies
After a successful first year for our product, my team and I were thinking of starting a community. We work a lot on LinkedIn as our product is based on LinkedIn networking, but maybe LinkedIn groups aren't the best choice. We are torn on Slack, FB group, and Discord. Would love your opinion on the best places to start a community and why?

Replies

Benjamin Arne
I use the 3 options and my ranking would be : 1) Discord 2) Slack 3) FB group
Dylan Merideth
Have great experiences with both slack and discord. FB not so much, but that could be due to demographic differences. Congrats on making it to the one year mark!
Sean Song
My old school mindset directs me to look for plug-ins for the web, but spam control should be important. Would be interested on know suggestions.
If it's for a community that's from LinkedIn I'd go for Slack or Circle- both are much more work orientated. Slack is obviously more familiar for those in corporate roles too.
Luka Vasic
@maxwellcdavis That was my thinking. I love discord personally, but I think professionals are more keen to Slack
Nicole Ogloza
discord!!!!! so much to do, easy to login, and easy to keep track of bunch of other groups through a connected server! <3
Ezzat Suhaime
Try all three, maybe one sticks
Adriel Cruz
I say Slack and Discord would be a great platform to start a community since it's organized and mostly used nowadays.
Benoit COLLET
I'm getting tired of Slack, as I got tons opened and it starts making my Mac slow...
Dow Osage
Reddit comes top-of-mind for community. It depends a lot on the demographic. FB often feels like a closed loop. LinkedIn is already very 'noisy' and it seems like it's hard to break through the noise there.
Tamanna
My old school mindset directs me to look for plug-ins for the web, but spam control should be important.maccrackerz
Brian Regan
I would ask the people who are using your product.. different channels prefer different types of interactions (different tools).
Aleks Dahlberg
Anywhere where you can get one started. We use a combination of Slack, LinkedIn and Substack. The latter two to lead people ot the Slack where we can get people talking!
Rosie Sherry
If you don't know the answer, you haven't done your research. Basically, go to where your people are, see what they're talking about and understand the tools they are comfortable with. And yes, unfortunately this takes time, but it also takes effort to get to know your people and have conversations with them. Partly this is community discovery (https://rosie.land/posts/a-guide...). Also partly it is building with an MVC mindset (https://rosie.land/posts/a-guide...)
Kimberly Misquitta
Hello everyone! You’re probably doing it wrong. Technology can’t be learnt through online courses, practicals, videos, blogs, tutorials, etc. It has to be learned from influencers’ knowledge, insights & experience. Register for free on Engatica & learn it in a new way. https://bit.ly/3te0AyG