How do you know if an investor is a good fit for your startup?

Pavel Gvay
2 replies
Hi all, I’m building a platform that finds investors for startups and I want to understand how to prioritize investors in the search results. We currently sort investors based on these parameters: 1/ % of portfolio companies in your industries. 2/ % of portfolio companies in your stage. 3/ % of portfolio companies in your industries. 4/ The number of deals in the past 180 days. I also have a hypothesis that truly relevant investors need to have at least one similar company in their portfolio. We launched a side project on PH today to validate it. What do you pay attention to when finding investors? Do things like check size matter? Thanks in advance!

Replies

Nicole Ogloza
I wouldn't even try to look at it from a money standpoint when you have an investor 'fit' for your company. You need to know about their backgrounds in-depth, and the VALUE that they can bring from their network, advice and mentorship. If you mismatch there, you will have a lot more to worry about than what their investment preferences are.
Samir Moussa
Network. The investor network is incredibly valuable. We are a Y Combinator startup and having access to other companies means better deals on their products and massive support on everything related to your business. Good luck with the launch!