Are explainer videos crucial - Yes or No?

Chelsea Randall
5 replies
If your site or product is that good, you shouldn't need an explainer video. It should be obvious, right?! Do you think Explainer Videos are needed when marketing your product? We are looking at our product all the time and it may be obvious to us, but to an end user, that might not be the case. We just received our explainer video from our Fiverr consultant and it is absolutely perfect! I am curious if other people are going this route. For us, it was totally worth the $200 and I can't wait to see it on Product Hunt when we launch.

Replies

Zolani Matebese
I think they are crucial. Don't assume a customer/user knows how to do anything with your product. Always better to provide multiple ways to eductae them and ensure they are getting value from use. would you mind sharing who you used on fiverr and the vid link?
Chelsea Randall
@zolani_matebese I totally agree. I feel that when explaining the product there are so many buzzwords that it's not really easy for someone to immediately understand. Our explainer video:
Fiverr Profile: https://www.fiverr.com/tkumarsha...
Alexa Vovchenko
I always heard what you say - if your product needs explainer videos, it's not a good product. I'm sure it's a misconception that drains also other makers. Necessity of explainer videos depends on your niche and end user. Yes, in B2C nobody will ever use a product that has explainer videos - you'll have to improve it. In B2B it's different - if a team/department/company will move to your product, they need to be on one side. So, my priority №1 is to make clear and engaging onboarding. Step 3 would be for me to create easy offboarding. But my step 2 is creating explainer videoS - it simply means taking care of you customer. You see not just a product, but a set of services additionally. Explainer videos also help to get onboarded, they can show advanced tricks and tips of the system, and even can be used as a part of the pre-sales cycle: before anyone decides to sign up for your app, they want to make sure it's relevant for them, so prospect will look up explainer videos.
V Keerthi Vikram
As a Consumer, I always prefer explainer videos. It helps me understand how the product works, whether it is suitable for my workflow (As not everyone has the same workflow), understand simple and complex functions of the product at a glance. While I may not always need the explainer video, it us certainly useful as it improves my experience of the product, plus help know some cool tips and tricks which I otherwise would not have been aware of.
Sreekanth PM
Without that how can you tell the customer about your differentiator?