Do you think badges are used for the Product Hunt algorithm?

Benoit COLLET
21 replies
On our profile we can see badges (for example this is mine: https://www.producthunt.com/@ben...). I suspect badges to have some weight in Product Hunt algorithm... Maybe even more important than the number of points. What's your opinion about it?

Replies

Marie-Ange Koné
Recently joined the Product Hunt community. How does it work to earn badges?
Benoit COLLET
@marie_ange_kone there are couple of them, here's what you can do: - Top product: make the podium with one of your launch - Thought leader: get at least 10 upvotes on 5 of your discussions - Contributor: get at least 5 upvotes on 5 of your comments - Buddy system: Reply to 10 comments from people with a red balloons (new accounts) - Gemologist: be in the first to support popular products
The do add weight to voting - certainly new users have less value than members that have been on the platform for a while. Not sure about how the badges area applied though.
Saloon
I have no idea... But that's an interesting point!
Daniel Engels
According to PH's official position, badges don't have a direct impact. However, the algorithm is very suspicious to upvotes by freshly registered users.
Benoit COLLET
@daniel_engels thanks for your comment, do you know where I can find this official position?
Daniel Engels
@benoit_collet "All votes are equal — unless you are doing something nefarious." https://blog.producthunt.com/fiv...
Andrew James Bagby
@daniel_engels I would guess it's a very similar system to Reddit in which the newer accounts have less functionality as well. I believe you cannot launch a product with a new account
Jimmy Spikes
To be honest I have no idea but it would make sense the more active you are on here the better you will do on launch day. Fav commentor badge please
Akram Quraishi
@jimmy_spikes I suppose that is because of your reach in terms of followers and friends. Or, does the algo also give any advantage?
Vaibhav Savla
Badges do add value to the algorithm - but probably more than that - the authenticity and credibility increase when a newcomer checks Producthunt for the 1st time. Something like how you feel when you check any influencer's profile - somebody has achieved something more than you - on that platform. And then comes the following & engagement part - which helps both the parties and the algorithm - making people visit pH again! Views?
Benoit COLLET
@vaibhav_savla for sure they encourage to be more active on the platform! Who doesn't want a gold medal?! 🤣 I'd like to get some official proof that badges are used, but I can't yet...
Gaurav Goyal
Would like to know more. I have seen products with more upvotes not being on #1. Hence, badges and points should have some impact.
Benoit COLLET
@gauravgoyal_gg it was our case we were lower than our competitor due to many clients upvoting with a fresh new account :(
Roger Andout
I'll be the test dummy - will update in due course