Is it better to charge in € or $ for a Europe-based startup?

Baptiste N
8 replies
For all SaaS founders with clients in Europe and in the USA: When to charge our clients, what is the best scenario? 1) charge them with their own currency 2) charge every one of them in € 3) charge every one of them in $ and then convert to € in our accounting Precision: - our accounting is in € - we use Stripe as a payment gateway - we have a European bank account - we have a majority of US-based users - we are early stage

Replies

Tarek Dajani
I will infidelity go with option 1. User suitability comes first, then you can handle your accounting accordingly.
Roman Velitskiy
If the bigger part of your TA comes from the US, I'd go with $, since the taxation process may vary for different currencies and regions, so you'll have to put different prices on your products considering the rate and the taxes. This might lead to a decrease in your pricing transparency.
Baptiste N
@rvelitskiy true. Yet, I'm not comfortable decreasing our pricing transparency. Guess we don't have other option though...
Jasper Ruijs
Which market do you care more for? I usually stick with $ because it is, in my opinion, still the world's currency like the Ligula Franca is still English. I am a Dutch person, and it doesn't matter to me if the valuta is in euros or dollars. For every other currency, though, I would use a currencies calculator. I know Amazon and Shopify adjust currencies automatically to the user. But you can check out what other giants do like Alibaba, Aliexpress, Whish, and eBay?
Mohamed Mezian
Depends on the market you're intending to focus first. Use the currency used by your main market.