Worst launch ever 😬

Kate Kovbii
26 replies
So I heard about this brainstorming technique when you try to take something and make it 1000% worse. So, what would the worst-ever product launch look like if you'd think about Product Hunt? And what can make it even worse? 🤔

Replies

David Gradon
Putting out a product before it’s ready. IMO better to have an average launch for a great product that people get excited about, than an amazing launch for a product that leaves people feeling underwhelmed
Kate Kovbii
@david_gradon makes sense 😌 But where does definition of ready start and end when it comes to mpv? 🤔
Olatz Urrutia
Hahaha good one! Well I guess either not having support or the feedback/comments to be all very negative, so that you see that people don't like your product/service.
Olatz Urrutia
@kate_kovbii Luckily it won't happen to you, don't worry! You'll see how supportive this community is :)
Kate Kovbii
@olatz_urrutia OH MY GOD, YES! I haven't seen so many supportive people like ever! I'm in love with the community... and everyone willing to help with anything 💔 PH people are THE BEST!
Zain Sheikh
The worst would be "don't know that you were launched yesterday with zero comments and votes" :D ;)
@zain_sheikh happened to me :D thankfully it was up only for few hours so we could react fast and delete it
Kate Kovbii
@sandradjajic OH MY GOD! Sound like not the best day of your life 🥹 So, did you launch your product later?
Shubham Pratap Singh
When the launch didn't go as expected after all the preparation and It's also worst that you have upvotes and comments but not much sign up on the platform :(
Matthew Ritchie
It already exists—just look at any product made by a major company that's posted on Product Hunt with no hunter, no maker comment, and no thought behind it. There's nothing that grinds my gears more than seeing an actually cool product that's posted on Product Hunt with no attempt to engage the community—it always reeks of laziness.
Kate Kovbii
@matthew_ritchie yeah, you're right. And maybe they just don't actually need any community interaction or anything? 🤔
Matthew Ritchie
@kate_kovbii Totally! But if that's the case, then it's like, why even do it? It just feels like a task someone had to check off on a marketing campaign check list to appease a CMO or something. (But, I guess at the very least it may get them in the PH newsletter—just look at Microsoft 365 Co-pilot).
Kate Kovbii
@matthew_ritchie I mean, maybe someone somewhere heard that "PH is great for your product". And they just decided to stop there. The fewer questions asked, the easier it's to check off this point from the checklist 😅 ✅ 💅
Swapnil D Puranik
Hahaha - like "dumb ways to die"!? Messing the launch date would be quite an effortless way to make launch worse. Imagine launching on the weekend of Christmas or New Year or other national holidays.
Charlie Kor
Haha, I can't imagine it.....trying to engage with your audience through different channels and not getting sincere feedback to improve your product can be frustrating. I think the count of upvotes, and comments doesn't matter. I believe that 1 sincere feedback is more valuable and meaningful than 10 meaningless upvotes...
Kate Kovbii
@charlie_lee1 oh this is so true! The understanding that the product fits your audience and that it can be improved in one way or another is really precious! Thanks for bringing that up 😌❤️