What tool do you use for user community building (chat)?

Jaka Koprivec
35 replies
Hey, since we will launch soon and want to enable our users to have a group chat to talk about how to use our tool etc. I would love to hear about your experience. I am thinking about using Slack or Discord. What is your experience, would you recommend something else? Thank you, Jaka

Replies

Abdullah Al Mallak
Nas.io and Whatsapp Communities Integration. Monetization first in mind.
Aaron O'Leary
I'd gravitate more towards Discord for the simple reason it's made for communities. Slack also has a very weird pricing strategy that makes growing a community past a point a bit cumbersome.
Ankit Jha ⚡️
I think it's about the community you're building. Professionals -> Slack Casual -> Discord * these are just examples, define your own tg
@ankit_jha15 It's a mix of both in our case as it will be to help developers and development teams that are using our product. But I think Discord is more popular with developers from my recent searches.
@tomas_spada2 Thanks for sharing your opinion. Any specific reason why Slack?
Yana
Hmmm, I used both for different communities. The decision on the platform was based on the audience. NFT enthusiasts preferred Discord. Mentors and Mentees in Marketing preffered Slack.
@this_is_a_person Thank you for sharing. In our case, it would be for developers & development teams :)
Douglas Evaristo
We use Discord in our startup for user community building because it's free and easy to use. It has useful features like voice and video channels that facilitate virtual conversations and meetings. Hope this helps @jaka_koprivec :)
@douglasevaristo Thank you for sharing! Yes, this is very helpful. You listed the main things that are interesting for us, so we are leaning more and more toward Discord.
Aditya Thakur
I use Discord for my community. I feel there are better options on Discord for role based tags, customisable onboarding and different bots to improve experience. Slack seems a bit too professional and also has cumbersome onboarding. As someone mentioned, their pricing can become a challenge. I used to use WhatsApp for the community but moved to Discord because I didn't want to share my number.
@adityathakurxd How difficult do you find maintaining your community on Discord? We are also discussing the option of setting up bots that would help us. Good point about the number, I presume there were a lot of random calls?
The Kingdom Bank
The most successful seems to be Slack. But at times the zoom also works.
@thekingdombank Thank you for sharing. How do you use Zoom to build your community? Do you have webinars?
Stephen Gbolagade
For Community of tech-savvies --> Slack For Web3 community --> Telegram and Discord For relationship, romance and fun groups --> Facebook groups For any other community --> WhatsApp Group
@stephengade Thank you for sharing, in our case it is for developers and CTOs so Discord and Slack are our finalists :)
Thomas
Definitely Zealy.io (ex Crew3) and Discord. Discord is better than Slack, and you can improve its quality with bots and services such as MEE6 (the most famous) and Zealy (free) to create quests and engage your community.
@thomas_l1 Never heard of Zealy. I will have a look. Yes the more we talk about it, the more bots could really take a lot of work off our hands. Thank you for sharing.
There is no doubt that Slack and Discord are wonderful choices for community building. However, if you are looking for something new, I think Trickle is worthy to have a try.
Aravind Putrevu
I run and build communities. In the past, I have written about it here https://www.devshorts.in/p/shall...
@putrevu Thank you for sharing this resource, is there a version where you don't need to create an account to read?
William Cook
Discord hands down is my favourite as it offers a much bigger userbase than Discord and has a lot more integrations. Though it really depends where your audience is based.