What quote permanently changed the way you look at things?

Daniyar Yeskaliyev
77 replies
For me, it was this: “If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable" I was 13, it was on the load screen of the PC game "Rome: Total War" and it made me really think about my life goals for the first time in my life. It's Seneca's (Jr) quote.

Replies

Kenny Tung
“A closed mouth doesn’t get fed” Feels cheesy but rly hit home for me. I think being a child of a first gen, it’s pretty easy to grow up and be timid. When you go corporate for the first time it’s so jarring to advocate for yourself. This quote really made me 180 my professional life.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
Some other examples from this game are: In peace, as a wise man, he should make suitable preparation for war An alliance with the powerful is never to be trusted I am more afraid of our own mistakes than of our enemies' designs what are your favorite quotes?
Ervin Kalemi
As cliché as it sounds, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Chetan Natesh
@ervinkalemi Forget the Gladiators and Philosophers. You can even forget the Empire and its Caesars - but you can rest assured Rome will never be forgotten just thanks to this one quote alone. Rome will be remembered till the end of time 💪 But Bangalore is the best 🙌
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
@ervinkalemi yeah that's a catchy one, and helps pull yourself together when you can't get quick results.
Michael Flux
"You're Not Bored, You're Boring" Gotta get off your ass and do something about it rather than just waiting.
Jerryton Surya
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Alex
I like what a teacher once told me "to find without searching, it takes a long time of searching without finding" (it was not in english so I don't know how well it translates)
Philip Snyder
“That the things you do every single day, the things that don’t look dramatic, that don’t even look like they matter, do matter. That they not only make a difference – they make all the difference.” Small actions have huge impact over time
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
@philipsnyder 100%, that's the small daily routines that build success long-term, not dramatic sprints that we tend to brag about
Jade Mackenzie
@philipsnyder @dan_yes the book Atomic Habits by James Clear is an excellent read and all about this!
Lené Jones
If you don't ask, you don't get. The act of asking is always better than giving into the fear of rejection.
Wayne Smallman
@lene__jones The only foolish question is the one not asked.
Lauren Thomas
@lene__jones Ooh yes. Burned into my psyche this one.
Joanne Hurley
@lene__jones I had to really learn this from a former boss of mine but it really works 95% of the time. I was constantly surprised at first about the number of yes's you actually can get.
Aditya Rajput
Agreed 💯 @dan_yes My favorite is: Happiness is a state of mind. I was burnt out with work and saw this during the COVID quarantines. Gave me the necessary strength to push through the constant lockdowns of covid.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
@adityasinghrajput yeah last 2 years have been hard for everyone's mental health. Great that you focus on it as on a state of mind, makes things manageable
Tibor Szantai
The quote that changed my life is: "The things you own end up owning you." I heard this quote when I was in my early 20s and I took it to heart. I got rid of most of my belongings and moved into a condo. As a result, I was able to save a lot of money to buy a nice home later.
Chetan Natesh
For me it's this " Intelligent people solve problems, wise people avoid them"
George Apostolov
@chetan_natesh Maybe that is why there are not so many old(wise) founders. Probably because they have learned to avoid the problems
Csaba Zajdo
Having a positive attitude towards life, which is the basis of a positive mental attitude, is the key to success in life. As Russell Crowe, who is one of the finest actors of our time says, "A positive mental attitude can really work wonders in your life."
George Apostolov
"If you only do what you have to do, you will always have to do what you are told to do." - quote by Mark Cuban
Jack Donnell
“God Himself, sir, does not propose to judge a man until his life is over. Why should you and I?” ― Samuel Johnson
Lauren Thomas
Enjoy yourself. It's already later than you think.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
@lauren_thomas4 no need to stress if you're already late everywhere. And with no stress, you can relax and really put your time into important things - with no need to rush :)
Jade Mackenzie
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage” - nice reminder to be bold, be courageous and take risks if you want to live a big life.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
@jade_mack the greatest achievements in my life required courage, totally agree with your quote, good one!
Robbe Vanbeylen
Great topic! For me, it was (and still is) mostly this series of quotes: - "The soul becomes dyed by the color of it's thoughts." - "There's always room for one more good one." - "If you don't have critics, you probably don't have success either." - "He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary." May this change somebody's perspective on life.
Apollon Latsoudis
This popular Chinese proverb “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”