What is your Leadership Style?

Alessandro Canella
44 replies
We might adopt a style of leadership when we lead for the very first time. After trying and learning from different leading experiences we tend to stick with the one that works best for us. Let me know about yours in the comments below :) I’d love to learn from your approach.

Replies

Lirian Ostrovica
There are so many aspects of it, but it always boils down to keeping the right balance between: 1 - what motivates the employee 2 - what's good for the business 3 - what's fair, ethical and human
Lodovico Sella
Personally, I try to give as much responsibility as possible, then I wait and see what has been achieved and then slowly and gradually I adjust ad work with the person to find the right balance for her/him.
Alessandro Canella
@lodovico_sella Thanks, Lodovico, I sincerely agree with the approach, and I found it successful because it empowers others!
Chetan Natesh
@lodovico_sella Do you build mental contingencies simultaneously?
Steven Birchall
@lodovico_sella can't upvote this enough as I feel this approach gets the best outcomes. People want to be trusted and empowered to do their best work, so the more you can do that as a manager, usually the better everything works out for all parties. The balance is more just working out how much responsibility is right for their skill set and experience and making sure they feel supported along the way.
Edward G
@lodovico_sella I agree! Also helps to make sure dialogue channels are open in case people feel overwhelmed but don't know how to relay that.
Marko Rakic
I love empathy-based leadership. It helps me make human connections and to know people in my team better, so I can lead them better. And it feels awesome.
Alessandro Canella
@marko_rakic2 That's true Marko! I appreciate you shared your opinion. :)
Chetan Natesh
When you know the way forward show some courage, people will follow. But when you are a bit stuck immediately find out who can take the lead. The important thing is not to be "leading" all the time. Know when to lead and when to follow, but at the end of the day the idea is to always keep moving - never stop! (of course, stopping to rest or enjoy the moment is completely fine😎)
Alessandro Canella
@chetan_natesh I love the idea of dynamic work; I agree with you, Chetan! Movement generates energy, and energy produces reality!
Eugene Nnamdi
Connecting with my team emotionally and also practicing ethical leadership. Leveraging inclusivity and making sure that everyone is on the same page.
Alessandro Canella
@eugenennamdi I have noticed the highest productivity paces happen anytime we have meetings and time with the team, so I agree with you! We are about to release our Beta, so we are spending a lot of time with the team to align all the activities and vision!
Georgy Nemtsov
Find the right people, set the right goals, and let them do their best work. If I start to micro-manage, it's just an indicator that I need to look for other people. I think there is no point in trying to change people's behavior or micro-manage them. Most of the time it doesn't work. If you find the right people, you don't have to.
Steven Birchall
@georgy_nemtsov agree, if you feel like you have to micro manage them, then you need to ask what's gone wrong in either the hiring or your own approach to management.
Alessandro Canella
@georgy_nemtsov Right inputs! Everybody should feel responsible for something that enhances a high-quality result, satisfied and motivated. I am precisely experiencing this now that we are about to release our beta; the team's vibe is exceptionally high thanks to this approach! :)
Alessandro Canella
Thanks to everyone who joined this discussion because I had the chance to learn a little from each of you. I believe one of the Koolest sides of ProductHunt is to listen to different points of view of many professionals and learn from them, and you are sharing a lot of value over here! Appreciate it!
Saurabh Wadhawan
Give Freedom to experiment but always be there in times of ambiguity to help your team members. Trust them for their work but do regular check-ins to ensure everything is on trust.
Alessandro Canella
@saurabhwadhawan I agree with you, Saurabh, love this way! What's your approach if you know the final result will not be as per requirement? Do you give the task or assignments anyway or not?
Saurabh Wadhawan
@alessandro_canella I start engagements on positive note, believing in the resource. Key is to provide constant feedback and be ready to roll up your sleeves and do the stuff yourself if its breaking. It's a red alert if it keeps on happening on repetitive basis with the same resource. It's super green when the resource acknowledges your effort and then goes an extra mile next time to ensure ship sails smoothly there after.
Selin Anil
Human above all. Based on mutual trust I've been actually asked by people in my team "why are you such a cool leader?" because I do consciously take the time and make the extra effort of considering their work as an element embedded in their own lives. Which means watching out for their well-being at work, checking on their balance and their motivation, encouraging open talk, etc. I might be naive to believe such a trust-based relationship can work but as you say in the intro, leadership styles tend to reflect one's deep personality. In my leadership (and mentoring), everything is based on a double-sided healthy and comfortable communication, which serves as a foundation for mutual respect and trust. Finally, as a consequence of the "global human" leadership, I personalize my relationships and each of my team member's missions so they are challenged and valued at the same time, as growth and learning are - in my opinion - key elements of a fruitful professional path.
Alessandro Canella
@selin_anil Thanks for such a detailed answer. I would love to know if this approach works out for you with a big organisation and if yes, how do you manage it?
Selin Anil
@alessandro_canella I suppose I'd love to know that too! I have only managed up to 7-8 persons at a time, split into teams of 5 max. And in a start-up, where the spirit and leadership style are definitely different than in a big corporation. Again, that sticks to your identity and personality I suppose!
fashion delight
Hello, Personally, I attempt to delegate as much responsibility as I can, wait to see what has been accomplished, and then slowly and gradually adapt while collaborating with the individual to strike the ideal balance. I hope that was helpful, and don't hesitate to contact us if you need help with anything else at https://fashiondelight.store/col... I'm grateful.
Daniyar Yeskaliyev
I am not in a leadership position at my job, but I have my mentees, friends who want to learn from me, people that I help with the immigration process. The way to find those people is just being active on the internet, primarily discussions in professional chats that I am a member of. Whenever I see a discussion on the topic that I'm expert in (or know some deep insights / hidden gems about) I just share my opinion. I'm not afraid of standing for my position and confronting others who spread misinformation, fake news, myths and anything discouraging people from taking action or what misleads them. I stand for what I know is proven to be true, was achieved by me and can be replicated by the others. This makes many people like my positions, send me direct messages with questions on those topics, make them want to get to know me and follow my pages. This led to over 50 people that I've helped with improving skills in English (specifically IELTS prep tricks), 4 people that successfully moved abroad, and dozens of new friends I've made. So, I'd assume my leadership style (in social life at least, if that counts) is to be open to people, don't be shy to share the opinion on subjects that I'm 100% sure (and can prove my position in debates with anyone), protecting the others who feels the same but don't have enough info on the topic as I have, and really investing my time in helping people. Of course, sometimes I just don't have enough time, and some people just want to use me for free high-end help / services, but I quickly recognize it and gently cut it - I don't want to be mean, but I stand for my boundaries and let people know when they demand too much from me.
Chetan Natesh
Know what you're talking about- that's always a wise idea 🙌
Alessandro Canella
@dan_yes Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise with us; I am sure many people will find it helpful! I am the first one, thanks!
Kiar Olson
Your leadership style refers to the method you adopt to guide, monitor, and motivate your team. Some leaders use more than one leadership style. You should know how to use various leadership styles to suit your goals at a certain time
Alessandro Canella
@undline_y Yes, you are right; I believe it's important to mix up both approaches per business goals and team environment; it's not a product that wins but the team. Thanks for opening up such an exciting discussion!
Jasper Ruijs
Leaders eat last is the best book I have listened to so far about what it means to be a leader. Here is the free audiobook, read by Simon himself. https://youtu.be/ezGr8TMI6oQ The summary: Leaders facilitate team members' growth. Leaders take the time to learn the strengths and weaknesses in someone's personality. Leaders make a conscious effort to create psychological safety. According to recent Google research, P. Safety had the highest correlation, why some teams can perform better than others. Growth Tribe has made a great test to see how you rank in terms of digital leadership, which has been redefined in the last year to advancements of digitalization during the pandemic. https://youtu.be/saWnkS3daT4 Here you found David Arnoux, growth tribes CEO, in an in-depth class about how to transform your organization as a leader. https://youtu.be/45qNEA06Hf0 Last but not least, the best book ever written on leadership, in my opinion, is Principles by Ray Dalio. https://www.amazon.com/Principle...
Alessandro Canella
@jas801 Jasper, Principles by Ray Dalio it's the perfect guideline for anyone willing to realise something big; I love that book, I love those principles, and I, even more, love applying them in real life. Kool!
Leon Ou
If you are already thinking very deeply, then please don't change your mind so easily.
Alessandro Canella
@leon_ou Thanks Leon for sharing. What do you include into your thinking process?
Leon Ou
@alessandro_canella You will receive a lot of things when you become a leader. These things may be about the destination of the product, the method to open the market, or how to be a good leader. Just believe in yourself after your deep thoughts, because others won't pay the bill for your actions.
Buse Başar
To be an instructive leader within the framework of respect without missing the dose of sincerity away from mobbing and pressure.
Alessandro Canella
@buse_basar Clean and simple answer, I like it! I believe being transparent is massively important. Kool! :)
Murali Gottumukkala
I have learnt a lot from my previous leaders that when you give the time and communicate and encourage co-workers, everything will blossom. I let individuals shine so that the team can shine brighter
fashion delight
@eugenennamdi I concur since I've seen that whenever we have meetings and team time, production levels are at their highest. We are spending a lot of time with the team to align all the activities and the vision because we are about to release our Beta at our site https://pixellogo.com/products/3... !
Alessandro Canella
Hey PH Family, We know each other from Product Hunt, and I thank you for answering my question in the discussion section. We have launched our Beta Product and are looking for support from anyone connected with us. We believe feedback is an essential part of starting to build a successful product. I sincerely would appreciate it if you might take a few minutes to support us on PH and share your honest feedback about the platform. Here is the link to our page. https://www.producthunt.com/post... Thanks for participating in such a unique time; I honestly appreciate it.