What is the best way to get funding for a startup?

Ghulam Abbas
19 replies

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
It sounds good to have VCs and investors – more opportunities but somehow bootstrapped is something I would prefer more because I do not have any liabilities to anyone. It is pretty hard but not impossible. I was mainly part of bootstrapped projects and still, I am amazed by how they were able to successfully handle it... They started it as a side project while working and financed it from savings.
Max Avery
It all depends - we provide a SPV management solution ( https://www.syndicately.com ) to founders that are raising capital that way - but theres's a lot of other solutions out there. Bootstrapping, loans, grants and all other types of routes. Always glad to hear what people are working with though and give them some input from my past experience
Ashutosh Raj
It depends on a lot of factors.. It's rather a question of what way of funding suits best for 'a given startup'. For example, if you are a first time young founder without much corpus and you are starting out fresh, it's probably best to go with Angels, syndicates, micro VCs or sometimes even bigger VCs depending on the stage you are at. While on the other hand, if you are an experienced professional with a good enough corpus and are starting to venture into the startup world, you may want to bootstrap for a while and raise later. That said, there's outliers and exceptions. After all, aren't all startups an outlier, haha?
Rully Ardiansyah
Bootstrapping I started my business when I was working a fulltime job. That's why I can get funds, and also since I'm using funds from my self. I don't have a heavy pressure from investor, etc.
David Popescu
@devoresyah Same for me, it's harder to get going in the beginning but the freedom of doing what you want and making the desicsions that you feel are the best is a huge benefit.
Callum Jones
@devoresyah We bootstrapped for a long period. We were fortunate to be running another successful company at the same time. But as time went on and demand on our new platform picked up, we needed to keep up with demand quickly and gain more market share, so expanding quicker was essential. Don't be put off by raising funds, they will help you move towards your goal. Be wise to find the right investor, not everyone with a bucket of cash is good for your company. I think being able to raise capital is just as impressive as bootstrapping, both have challenges.
Rully Ardiansyah
@callum_jones1 wow, thanks for the insight. I agree with your statement that not everyone with a bucket of cash is good for the company. I'm avoiding people who only put their money to gain profit but doesn't care with what company's vision
Yami Sun
Launching soon!
@devoresyah @callum_jones1 Indeed, not all startups need to raise funds. However, if you do seek funding, you must demonstrate scalability to VCs. Sometimes, scalability can also be the downfall of your business. We're launching "Copus- A decentralized inspiration-driven publishing platform" on Product Hunt soon. Let's collaborate! I would appreciate your support and feedback by clicking the "Notify Me" button to stay tuned and be the first to know when Copus debuts on the stage.👇 producthunt.com/products/copus Thank you! Best regards, Yami
Beep tech
What about the founders from Pakistan ?
Ryan Zhang
The best way to secure funding for a startup often involves meticulously preparing your pitch and aligning with the right investors who share your vision and industry interest. Networking, whether through industry events, accelerators, or direct outreach, is key to opening doors and building those crucial relationships.
Gong Zijian
The best way to secure funding for a startup often involves a combination of networking to connect with potential investors and clearly articulating your unique value proposition to stand out. It's also crucial to tailor your pitch to the specific interests and investment thesis of the investors you're targeting.
Yuki
Launching soon!
I think it all comes down to connections! I would start reaching out to founders, not asking for anything, but genuinely connecting with them in your city. Eventually you'll find your way to the VC's but just approach it from a "how can I give value" as opposed to "how can I get funding" angle.
Sev
Launching soon!
Revenue! 😅
Konrad S.
Depends on many factors of course, but one possibility I see rarely mentioned here is crowdfunding. I think it has important advantages (if it makes sense for your product).
Jake Tital
Fundwise is a good website to take a look at for getting funding for a startup
Nik Hazell
I'm currently boot-strapping - we're about 3 months in, and very close to breaking even. It's a very different world from the VC-backed one I'm used to - where you might be loss-making for years and years! We're launching tomorrow, if you're interested: https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
JD Worcester
The best way? Have loads of cash so you can bootstrap yourself and exit with 100% equity.
Kellie O Hara
There is no "one size fits all", but remember that investment is for scaling something that already has traction/strong signals from the market. ALWAYS bootstrap as far as you can first, then if you do go the investment route it is crucial to have mutual alignment. Investors should not be ONLY investing money. Startups should not be ONLY seeking money. Both must be aligned and fully engaged. PS authentically building your network is key! Begin there...