What do you hate the most about digital marketing?

Katya Veremeichik
32 replies
No intro. Just one question that will help me feel like not the only one who hates some aspects of the favorite job.

Replies

Sarah Jordi
That it is all about how to get more followers, more sales, more leads, whatever and how to manipulate people best to do that. It takes focus away from "How can we build something people love" (and then you don't have to manipulate people into buying it with algorithms, targeting, PR slogans, false promises etc.
Erica Straub
Battling the algorithm 😂
Oscar Wehbe
Feeling like performance is beyond my control.
Brenna Donoghue
@oscar_wehbe Absolutely. And when all goes well, it feels so great, but can be so frustrating when tactics that worked last week suddenly don't
Katya Veremeichik
@oscar_wehbe Oh, I can relate to that very much.. it's not as predictable as I want it to be, and even when something good happens - I can't really say if it's something I did, or it's an accident...
Alex Robinson
@oscar_wehbe @brenna_donoghue There's definitely a lot of trial and error involved in it, and it can be frustrating when something that worked last week suddenly doesn't work this week. But that's just part of the journey!
Brian Maurer
Playing the algorithms and attribution 😂. Love everything else
Gurpinder Singh
Catching up with the changing algorithms🤖
Brenna Donoghue
Constantly changing algorithms and feeling like I'm always trying to game the system!
Meadow Simmons
@brenna_donoghue idk why, but I love it! Maybe I just love being stressful all the time, haha?
Anil Meena
There is no clear guide. I think that primarily because of the changing environment and ever evolving algorithm. But there are only certain player dominating the ad market and you have to compete against some of the biggest player if you are not a niche or new domain.
Alex Robinson
@anil_meena21 I agree that there is no clear guide when it comes to online advertising. The algorithm is constantly changing and evolving, which makes it difficult to keep up with the latest trends. However, I think that if you are niche or new domain, you have a better chance of competing against the big players.
Alex Robinson
There are a few things that I hate about digital marketing. First, it is very time-consuming. I feel like I can never get ahead because I'm always playing catch-up. Second, it is very difficult to stand out in the crowd. With so many businesses competing for attention online, it is hard to make your voice heard. Finally, I find digital marketing to be very overwhelming. There are so many different channels and strategies to choose from, and it is hard to know where to start. It's partially why we started building https://vidon.ai. Building a tool to solve our own problems!
Janet Granger
I hate the reporting. All the "standard" reports are designed by engineers who have NO idea what marketing is and what we need. I'd have thought these bigger companies would have ASKED a marketer what they need to see. Or done some UX of the reporting. But no... not in my lifetime.
Ilya Uglianitsa
@janet_granger I'm so agree! Especially, when it comes for complex metrics. Onboarding on any new reporting system is a nightmare
Mayank Jain
Katya, love the description of the question :) My view - Digital marketing can be frustrating because it is constantly evolving. The rules of the game change quickly, and you need to be on your toes if you want to stay ahead of the curve. Additionally, digital marketing is complex, so even experts tend to make mistakes from time to time. One common mistake that marketers make is relying too much on automation and shutting down their own creativity. This goes against everything traditional advertising stands for – emotions should always be at the heart of a good campaign!
Vivek Raghunathan
(Used to run ads for YT and spent time working on ads for Google Search, so I consider myself knowledgable) Desktop extension marketing (driving user acquisition to an extension on one of the web store). It's an opaque world with very little clarity on what works and what doesn't.
Gaurav Goyal
If I were to call out one thing - it's attribution. I am working on multiple channels and campaigns but it sort of becomes difficult to clearly figure out the impact of each or acquisition cost from each channel/campaign. The best bet is to look for overall numbers and keep optimizing basis related metrics. How do you guys treat this problem?
Kathryn Ferguson
I hate being bombarded with emails after purchasing a product!
Katya Veremeichik
@kathryn_ferguson well... I have nothing better to say than "it's life today":) I totally understand you, but as a marketer I also do that because it works
Anna Harrison
Lack of metrics that measure progress made in converting strangers into brand advocates
Jesse Jensen
The client has no budget and/or patience and keeping up with the Algorithm.
Gleb Slonimskiy
I hate that it`s difficult to choose product now in era of digital marketing
All the fake Facebook & Instagram accounts driving the cost of the ads up.