Is it difficult to be a marketer when you are an introvert?

I struggle with this sometimes. When I do social media, I have to show myself to people on camera, communicate with a large number of people when I'm at conferences or sometimes "sell" something to someone. I'm more of an introvert, so it's out of my comfort zone. How about you? --- P. S.: I will tomorrow send my newsletter. If you want to receive it, just fill out the form: https://forms.gle/71Lci4Bpd6X9wNbu9

Replies

Nicolò Marchesi
I'm kind of introverted. I like to be around people, but for a certain amount of time... after that, I need to shut everyone out, or I'll blow :P I discovered that measuring the time and energy you can be with other people is crucial. For example, I can stay at a conference and talk for a whole day, but maybe in the evening, I'll be alone in my room coding or playing :) However, it always depends on the people you find interesting, and like-minded people extend this time by a lot.
Business Marketing with Nika
@pethron yeah, actually, when I find people who are almost like me, I can spend hours talking with them. :-D
Mihajlo Kovacevic
How do you think of these question, they are great :)
Simona O'Neill
I'm an ambivert. Quite comfortable on camera and speaking to other people, but I'd rather think and work on my own. Would imagine it's not easy being a total introvert, but there are many benefits. Introverts think more before they speak and put a lot of thought and creativity into their work. So introverted marketers can create lots of great content.
ISTIAK AHMAD
@simona_o_neill3 Love the ambivert balance you've got going on! Totally agree that introverts bring a unique superpower to the marketing game, thoughtfulness, creativity, and a knack for crafting incredible content. It's like turning introvert magic into marketing gold!
@simona_o_neill3 And when speaking to the camera, are you okay to lead a webinar/livestream, for example, with 2 – 5 people?
Simona O'Neill
@busmark_w_nika great question. I am totally fine presenting live during a company or investor updates, running team meetings and sales presentations. But I've never done a livestream public webinar yet so don't know how I'd be. Nervous for sure :-)
Abdal Yousef
@simona_o_neill3 Being an ambivert sounds like a perfect balance! You're right, introverts often bring a unique perspective to marketing. The thoughtful and creative approach can indeed lead to some amazing content. Just look at introverted CEOs like Larry Page, the co-founder of Google – he's shown that introverted leaders can excel in high-profile roles and make a significant impact on major companies. It's all about finding your strengths and making them work for you!
Maxim Dementev
Hi Nika, nice thread. Sometimes I feel the same. Everything is changing, when you got support and see social activity. For me it's the reason not to be an introvert 🙂
Maxim Dementev
@kgrebenjukov absolutely 💯. Sure, it's better to have strong background knowledge to be self-confident, but audience reaction works wonders
Aristo Coutinho
Introverts often have strong written and verbal communication skills. They're also good at building relationships one-on-one. Use these strengths to your advantage in your marketing career. For example, you could focus on writing blog posts or creating social media content. You could also develop your skills in public speaking or networking.
ISTIAK AHMAD
@aristo_coutinho Absolutely, turning introvert strengths into marketing superpowers! Writing, verbal skills, and one-on-one relationships, spot on. Blog posts and social media content are my playground, and maybe a dash of public speaking to spice things up. Thanks for the awesome advice!
ISTIAK AHMAD
Absolutely get the introvert struggle, and you're not alone! The dance between social media, conferences, and selling can be challenging, but the fact that you're navigating it speaks volumes. Embracing the discomfort often leads to growth, right?
@istiakahmad Yes, we are growing through the practice! 😎
Jaspar Carmichael-Jack
Harness the Power of Writing: Introverts often excel at written communication, making them valuable assets in crafting compelling content, writing engaging blog posts, and developing persuasive marketing materials. Their ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely can be instrumental in creating impactful marketing messages.
Haiwen Li
I am an introvert too:), what I do is balancing the extroverted demands of the situation with my own inner needs as an introvert. With some preparation, and recharging time, we can tackle more extroverted tasks without getting depleted.
Bearsthy
Freelance Introverted marketer here ✋It can be hard sometimes but I’ve gotten used to making things work around my social battery and not the other way around, like getting more work done when I’m feeling energetic. I don’t do content creation nowadays so that’s a blessing too haha. A lot of things make me super anxious but I get myself to do uncomfortable things because of the future that I envision. Work isn’t the best part of my day but it’s also a necessity. One tip is that you should have something that keeps you grounded: something (or someone) soothing that just makes your day better. Having support from people we trust helps a lot more than we think.
@bearsthy How do you communicate with your clients, for example? How the negotiation is going when it comes to pricing? Because I think that extroverted people are more penetrating in this matter.
Bearsthy
@busmark_w_nika That is still one of the challenges I have to deal with. I usually like to avoid confrontation as much as possible so I just apply to jobs that have the pay I’m looking for (if they list the pay in the job decription). If they don’t, then after the initial meeting, I just go with whatever they ask for 😅 My anxiety can’t handle certain things. Like asking a waiter at a restaurant for something lol.
@bearsthy YES, YES, YES! The struggle is real. I have the same problem. When there is no compensation, I am like: OK, I do not want to handle pricing... next, please! 😂
But eventually after time you may start to get used to it. Being uncomfortable (in certain circumstances) can lead to growth. By continuously getting better and feeling good, your confidence will grow and what was difficult may become easy and natural. You just have to put yourself out there. At the end of the day you will have people get value from your posts and people who won’t and that’s ok. You can never please everyone.
@slimmy82 You are right. Every time, I speak at any event, my voice is shaking. But it is better now when I practice. :-)
@busmark_w_nika you’re going to be a public speaker in no time!!!
@slimmy82 Actually, I have moderated a few events but it is not my cup of coffee. :-D
Yemi Oyepeju
Hi Nika, what's your subscriber size? would you mind inserting an ad for us in your newsletter? Happy to do a giveaway with your audience. Re: the topic. Not sure I'm an introvert, I just tend to like my peace and quiet more nowadays so I can focus on work and be productive almost everyday. I find myself checking the clock or my watch several times, trying to keep a tag on time. Perhaps that might change next year as I'm now trying to buy back my time by e.g. delegating and automating more.
@uxyemi Hello Yemi, thank you for the opportunity. :-) RN, I do not run ads in my newsletter as I want to grow it more so I concentrate on content creation in emails.
zuhaib ashfaq
Being an introvert, even after a couple of comments on a public post, I need 1 hour of recharge sitting in a dark room alone lol
Konrad S.
I'm also quite introvert, I'm doing all business and marketing communication in written form whenever possible. But I think you can be a great entrepreneur also if you're introvert, I suppose Larry Page and Sergey Brin also are more introvert for example.
@konrad_sx Yeah, exactly, I am more comfortable writing with people. And if somebody asks me to jump on a quick call, I am like: No, no, no, no :D
Calli
I’m the same! Here for the discussion and tips for us fellow introverts 👀
Stacey Loris
I can relate to the struggle.
Johannes Kraus
Imo the trend is clearly to a data focused marketing approach, so a lot of data driven people, which analyse numbers, build dashboards and think about it from a analysing view are required. So don't worry about outgoing, there is a place for you in marketing.
Nico Spijker
Depends who you're marketing too, if a large part of your ICP are also introverts you might be able to reach them better :).
@nicolaas_spijker I think that as an introvert, I have many hobbies so I can reach people through their interests.
Crystal J
I often feel the same way, but I realized the importance of personal branding and decided to step out of my comfort zone. It's all about finding balance and taking small steps to grow. Keep pushing forward!