How to sell a startup (from my own experience)

Lisa Dziuba
54 replies
In 2020 I sold my startup to the US-based design company, and my M&A journey was… rocky. Many founders from my community reached out and asked how M&A works. So here are the M&A essentials you need to know. 1️⃣ Plan as early as possible Selling a startup is completely different from running one. My exit was bumpier than it had to be and it took longer than I planned. The M&A process can take anywhere from six months to several years depending on the complexity of the deal. Mine was around 7 months long. Your typical process during M&A include: - Planning and Prep - Evaluation, outreach and meeting buyers - Negotiating, drafting agreements, due diligence and closing You should know it works beforehand! This is not a"learn-on-the-go". 2️⃣ Understand your true goals All founders are dreaming about successful exit, in one way or another. However, real motives to sell can be different and you need to be honest about your M&A goals with your co-founders and investors. You could want to sell because .... - you need "a graceful exit" - you are tired and want to go for a new idea (let's say after 4 years of 24/7 work on your startup) - you see that can grow faster/simpler with a big partner - the market has shifted and you want to move - you want a meaningful $$$ and someone approaches you 3️⃣ Choose the right exit strategy 🚪 Everyone likes to talk about their exit as if it was a $$$$ acquisition. But, humble aquihire is more common than you think. Generally, the two main M&A strategies are: ▪️ M&A deals: Getting wholly acquired via Asset Purchase, Stock Purchase or Merge. ▪️ Acquihires: A form of acquisition where the buyer’s focus is on the talent and/or the IP of a startup, not the product, services or customer base. Other strategies most likely won't be realistic for most folks in the PH community but I will mention them: micro acquisitions, partial sales of assets, selling your stake to a partner or investor, management and employee buyouts (MBO), IPO. 4️⃣ Decide who is your ideal Buyer Just as you understand your buyer when marketing your product, knowing your acquirer is crucial when selling your startup. Are you looking for strategic acquirers who want you for your tech, team or user traction, or financial acquirers who care more about revenue and growth? What companies are most likely to see your value? 5️⃣ Build a target list Using your buyer profiles, build a list of companies (series E-D scale that could be potential buyers. Start building relationships with businesses on your list. Like with fundraising, it starts with relationships. 6️⃣ Highlight your startup’s value to your buyer From Elad Gil's books: your value is directly correlated with what the buyer is looking for in you. Buyers can look for acquihires or team buys, business assets or technology buys, or getting you as a strategic asset. Sstrategic acquisition is the most interesting M&A for founders, while acquihires the cheapest ones. 7️⃣ Defining M&A price There are several methods to calculate your startup’s valuation: earnings multiples, the comparable approach, cost to Duplicate, discounted cash flow and "whatever they want to pay" 😃 . 8️⃣ Get ready to due diligence (DD) During DD you need to build your data room, making sure it’s clear for buyers and shows your startup’s value. You should have clean and ready financial statements, federal filings, revenue breakdowns, team breakdown docs (including tenure, compensation, and key players), all IPs and agreements. 9️⃣ What to check when negotiating One of the most important considerations during the sale is the price of your startups. However, don’t focus solely on money. You should also consider leverage like: escrow and holdback, the future of your team, how the buyer plans to pay, and your responsibilities going forward.

Replies

Swayam
Thank you for the information liza, would be really helpful for the future
How large was the startup when it was acquired and at what multiply was the sale?
Lisa Dziuba
@jgani we were a small team, with good M&A terms for us. I can't disclose the deal amount but we were happy. also, when we decided to sell, the market of design toolings complete changed... Exactly this 👇 the market has shifted and you want to move
Kevin Brendel
Thanks for the insight, Lisa! Our strategy currently does not involve an exit any time soon, but your post definitely brought some interesting insights that might come in handy at some point :)
Vincent Xu
Lisa, your insights on selling a startup are incredibly valuable—thank you for sharing your personal journey. I'm sure many aspiring entrepreneurs will benefit from your experience and advice!
Niklas Mengele
wow thank you very much for sharing your insights with us! It was very interesting to read!
Christopher Clark
How large was the startup?
David Walker
thanks for telling this all thing
Edward Paul
How large was the startup when it was acquired and at what multiply was the sale?
Lisa Dziuba
@edward_paul3 we were 5 ppl team and pretty good terms for us & investors but the process itself took us 6-7 months and I was stressed out to 1000%
Edward Moore
thanks for telling us
James Wilson
Thanks for the insight, Lisa!
John Davis
the market has shifted and you want to move
Cole Adam
wow thank you very much for sharing your insights with us! It was very interesting to read!
Joseph Martin
Thanks for telling this effective steps
Joseph Parker
Thank you for the information liza, would be really helpful for the future
Muhammad Arslan Aslam
Thanks for sharing the insights Lisa. All of the points are amazing.
Leo
Thank you for telling this
Walter E. Strunk
Very Very thank you for telling this
Nikita Jain
thank you for telling this beautiful steps
Jamie L
Lisa, your insights on selling a startup are invaluable—thanks for sharing your personal journey! Could you highlight the top lesson you learned during the process that you'd pass on to fellow entrepreneurs?