How to handle app and SaaS tool overwhelm? ๐Ÿค” So many tools!

Seriously, sometimes I feel swamped with all the apps & tools available out there! Every day, you see content on social media like "10 tools you NEED to try in 2023". Yes, I'm guilty of sharing posts like these as well ๐Ÿ˜… How do YOU personally decide which ones to stick with without getting overwhelmed? Do you even *try* to keep up? If so, how do you keep up? Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!

Replies

Hanna from Niceboard
Totally feel you with that (same during black friday sales etc). Going back to what problems you actually face in your day-to-day/what would make your every day so much easier/better/faster and then having a laser focus on solving that problem when looking at new products. Otherwise its just too overwhelming...
Bren Kinfa ๐Ÿ’Ž SaaS Gems
@hanna_ Right!? Black Friday FOMO is a real phenomenon - but yeah, gotta stay focused and not let the noise throw you off ๐Ÿ’ช
Hanna from Niceboard
@brenkinfa 100%, but same strategy: Know what you're after! PS: Weโ€™ve just relaunched Niceboard on here after 3 years of developing the best job board platform youโ€™ll find ๐Ÿ˜‰ I would love to get your support.
Neel Patel
This also triggered me to think about how I should be building a product. I am not sure how to frame this answer well but I will try to put it roughly. For me, it's usually based on mixed signals I get from my own exploration. Mostly in terms of what I hear from other people about the category/product and based on my needs. It also occurs that if something I am looking for is coming in front of me often, I'd likely to consider giving it a try. So, 1. Product has to do what it supposed to do, at least good enough- not the best in the world. If it's best in the world, no doubt a good chunk of people would feel the aha moment, they brag about it and that will create referral loops.Referrals are straight killers! 2. Marketing is the key, if I see it often, I tend to give it a try.
Bren Kinfa ๐Ÿ’Ž SaaS Gems
@neelptl2602 I'm in the same boat as you! If a product is good enough, you'll see others talking about it a lot. That's a pretty good indicator that it's worth checking out ๐Ÿ‘ Word-of-mouth usually wins!
Jaspar Carmichael-Jack
Identify your core needs: Before you start signing up for every tool that comes your way, take some time to identify your core needs. What are the specific problems you're trying to solve? What are your must-have features? Once you know what you need, you can start narrowing down your options.
Romio
I keep exploring apps. But I stick with what I like, and this is exactly why I started this library https://bit.ly/instances-library
Cameron Napoli
I like to do research rather than track every tool. For example, if I want to do marketing I'll search for tools here on PH. I totally agree it's overwhelming to try and "keep up". Just remember, you just have to solve your own problems
Eden
i agree! honestly i just stick to what i know and will try only things that people recommend to me
Tiange Ling
There comes to the value of product hunt haha ~
Kane
If an app can't grab my attention in 30 seconds, it's a no-go. And if it doesn't have Google login, I'm out in 5 seconds.
Kane
I want to express that it should have a clear landing page that can tell me in 30 seconds what value this tool can create for me and allow me to quickly try it out.
Bernard Badรณ
If I have a problem, I find a solution. Otherwise, I ignore everything.
Carla Ramsey
I've got a 'tool triage' system. Every Sunday, I evaluate my apps. If it hasn't proven its worth, it's out.
Carol Moh
This year I can't even imagine how many tools were launched that I "needed to try or I'll be left behind and lose out on millions of dollars" ๐Ÿ˜‚ I tend to take the approach that if something feels like it is taking too long or I think to myself, "There must be a tool for this" it will trigger me to go look for the solution and then a rabbit hole of online reviews and asking others. Also, I am always short on time so when I test out tools, if I can't figure it out or it feels overwhelming within the first 10-15mins I will discard and move on.
Crystal J
Hey there! Personally, I try to focus on the ones that align with my specific needs and goals, and I also rely on recommendations from trusted sources. It's definitely a challenge to keep up, but I think finding a balance and staying open to trying new things is key. How about you? Any strategies that work for you? Let's chat more about this! ๐Ÿ˜Š