How do you measure the success of a product launch?

Merve Tarayıcı
23 replies
Launching a product is an exciting milestone, but how do you know if it's successful? What metrics should you be tracking, and how do you measure the impact of your launch on your business goals?

Replies

Julia
My metrics are: - Registered Users - Active Users - Customer Retention Rate - Completed Target Actions Later we'll add LTV
Leonid Mikhalev
I haven’t launched yet, but I think it depends on the stage of the project. 1) landing with value proposition and pricing, would be great even to get emails to the waitlist 2) alpha with actual features, to get real free users 3) Fully made MVP, nice to have a little conversion into paid users. But I could be wrong, just my opinion.
Prithvi Raj
Depends on a lot of factors, but at the end comes down to user signups -> usage bump -> paid -> revenue, some other factors like Market value and product positioning comes in consideration as well
Tom Willetts
It is important to identify your "North Star" metric, which should be determined by you based on your business goals. There is no single metric that applies to all companies, but popular options include usage stats (MAU, DAU, etc.), engagement, revenue/profit, and more. You can track your North Star metric directly or use proxy metrics to infer its performance. If your North Star metric is difficult to calculate consistently, you can use other metrics such as usage data to gauge progress. It is essential to align your North Star metric with your business goals to measure the impact and value of the launch. For instance, if your mission is to create a habit-forming product, such as one where users log in daily, focusing solely on total users over retention may not help you determine whether your product meets your goals. Tracking metrics from the start of product development and throughout the launch process is crucial. It allows you to ensure that you are tracking the right metrics and to observe whether you are achieving the expected results.
Igor Pavlov
Well, first you need to set up expectations by setting your goals. Then back them with real metrics. Then launch. Then measure. Exceeded - great. Satisfied - great. Not exceeded - great, you have something to investigate and learn. It's a win in any case.
We have an upcoming launch for our product, and we're excited to get feedback from the world. We already have a working version, so we're looking forward to seeing how people respond. For me, success for this launch would mean achieving the following goals: Getting more than 100 registrations for our B2B service. While our target audience is smaller than for B2C services, we still believe that 100 registrations is an achievable goal. Receiving thoughtful questions from those who are interested in our product. Even if we receive just one valuable comment, that would be a great outcome. Having the opportunity to communicate with those who are interested in our product. This will be very valuable for our audience research. Attracting 10 returning users. Ultimately, we've built this product to solve pain points and make people's lives better, so we're eager to learn from those who will be using it. Overall, we're excited to see what happens on launch day and to have a great time. We're also open to any unexpected surprises!
Igor Lysenko
In users and attendance of the product. What do you think?
Aleksandra Dikan
great question actually. I think it depends on your goal- why and for what purpose do you launch on PH? And then you can measure the success :)
yash
If you are measuring a launch event separately. Conversion, page visits, feedback gathered through launch events, and if user acquisition costs also involved in that did you achieve what you anticipated.
Tuğra Avcı
If the team worked 20 hours on launch day! 🤓
Indu Thangamuthu
When your team is happy with the work they have done, and at the same time, they feel they still have more to do, to improve the product
Yavuz Tunc Emran
Product of the day would be the accomplishment you are going for but even if you are doing 100USD MRR because of the launch I guess that's good enough
Richa Sharma
I think it depends on your goals. Is it increasing website traffic (because launching on PH is a great backlink)? Or are you looking at it as an acquisition channel? Or are you looking for beta users? It actually depends on you, and I don't think there is any standardized measuring framework. Irrespective, being about the top 10 products of the day gets you a spot in the PH newsletter. So one can aim for that may be.
Sai K
Hey Merve, I am not an expert but as per my understanding it depends on various factors such as market/field, timing and other factors. In general, your brand awareness should improve(more engagement on social media platforms), CAC trend should be declining, Not just increase of revenue from signed up customers, but new sign ups should increase synchronously. Customer satisfaction rate should be good.
Shawn James
The success of a product launch can be measured in several ways, depending on the goals and objectives of the launch. Some common metrics for measuring the success of a product launch include: Sales performance: One of the most obvious measures of success is how well the product sells. This can be measured by tracking sales numbers, revenue, and profitability. Customer feedback: Gathering customer feedback through surveys, reviews, and social media can help you understand how well the product meets customer needs and expectations. Media coverage: The amount and quality of media coverage your product receives can indicate how well it resonates with your target audience. Market share: Keeping track of your market share and how it changes after the launch can help you understand how well the product competes in the marketplace. Return on investment (ROI): Calculating the return on investment of the product launch can help you determine whether the launch was successful in generating revenue and profits. Ultimately, the success of a product launch depends on how well it meets the goals and objectives set by the company. By tracking these key metrics, companies can better understand the performance of the launch and adjust as needed. @mervetarayici
Richard Gao
Whether I get product of the day or not :) I mainly do it for the social proof
Ishwar Jha
Over the past 2 decades of working in building some of the many of its first kind of products and having fair amount of success and failure, I can say that the following metrics help you know: Sales revenue to track the amount of revenue generated from the product launch. Market share: Tracking the market share you have gained to see how the product is performing compared to competitors. Customer acquisition to help determine the effectiveness of the marketing strategy used to promote the product during the launch phase. Customer satisfaction and retention. Return on Investment (ROI) for determining the financial success of the launch. Customer feedback to evaluate positive and negative feedback gauge the product's success. Brand awareness to help you determine the effectiveness of the marketing campaign used to promote the product during the launch phase. You may choose to add a few more depending on the kind of product you are launching.
Kirill Sokol
Launching a product on a Product Hunt can be a great way to create hype and attract traffic to the product. However, success at a Product Hunt should not be measured solely by the number of 'updates' or comments your product receives. For me, there are several key metrics that align with my business goal: Comments and feedback (the most valuable in my opinion), Website/app visits/users, User engagement, Social media mentions, and ultimately Revenue Remember that a successful Product Hunt launch is only the beginning of the journey. Constantly analyse metrics and adjust your strategy accordingly to ensure long-term success.
Felix
For me it's about these 3: - conversion rate - customer ratings - numbers of units sold What do you think Merve?🤔
Ritik Singh Panwar
Considering we are talking about early state launched 1. Are people signing up and downloading the product? If so, that's a good sign that people are interested. 2. Are people spending time on the platform and coming back for more? That's a good indication that people are finding the product useful and engaging. 3. What are early adopters saying about the product? Are they satisfied and leaving positive reviews? Their feedback can help make the product even better. 4. Is the market interested in the product? Conducting surveys, focus groups, and interviews with potential customers can help you understand if the product meets their needs and preferences. 5. Finally, use customer feedback and user behaviour to improve the product over time. An early-stage product launch is an opportunity to learn and make changes based on what customers want and need.