Help: how to craft the copy around a value prop so that it's simple for consumers

Daniel Baum
5 replies
How do you figure out what copy will express your value prop most closely? - Blunt-force testing? - Small control groups? - Asking friends? What's worked for you? For context: My company Sleek is building a pretty unique product - it's a browser extension that provides cash back at 1500 stores & completes guest checkout with 1 click. So there are 2 value props: get money and checkout faster/easier. We haven't figured out the right combination of values and messaging that works for us yet.

Replies

Neri Raanani
Here's my tip on how to design the messaging. I usually start with creating a chart with the following 4 columns: *Pain point - describe in your own words the pain you're trying to solve. * Product value - describe in your own words how your product is going to solve the problem you mentioned. * Target audience - describe who you're going to solve the problem for. Example: Senior PMs, decision-makers, Junior frontend devs, etc. *Message - write the message out of the point you just wrote. For example our new product solves 4 different pain points for developers, so we design the message for each pain point.
Daniel Baum
@neri_raanani Awesome breakdown, thanks! So if your product solves 4 different pain points, do you design a different message for each pain point? And try marketing each individual message to see what lands the best? Or is it ONE singular message to encapsulate all 4 pain points?
Neri Raanani
@daniel_baum It depends. As an example, our upcoming product solves 3 different pain points for developers, so I designed a message for each (each one will be featured on the product's landing page separately). To design the main message (One-liner, tag line) I write the 3 main points I'd like to convey in the main message and create it based on them. I hope that helps a bit 🙏 There's a lot more to it but I wanted to share my methodology since I feel it's been working pretty well for us.
Jesse Ezell
Check out this book on Amazon, it will help: https://www.amazon.com/Find-Your...
Daniel Baum
@jesse_ezell Cool, thanks Jesse! That book seems to be tailored to ideas that are hard to grasp, while ours shouldn't really be. But could still be useful!