Do product thumbnails play a role in your click decision?

Lindsay Davis
11 replies
As for me, I always click on products with catchy thumbnails. It's interesting for me to check the visual branding and the product itself, even if I don't need it for my work and daily life. What about you?

Replies

Jamayal Tanweer
100% - as a designer, I always assess the overall branding. I aim not to be overly judgmental, recognizing that this is just the starting point. However, I firmly believe that a stellar product begins with exceptional branding.
Laree Casper
It only works if the product thumbnail is as great as the product itself. Otherwise, it's just like a clickbait👎
Diane Hall
No, my clicks are based on product tags, I only search for products I 100% need.
Konrad S.
Yes, definitely. Being rational, the thumbnails will have a minimal impact on what product I finally decide to use, but if there are more options than I have time to check out, the icons are an important first indication for me. What do you think of App Finder's icon (producthunt.com/posts/app-finder, launched today)? Having not much exprerience with graphic design, it was a quite long process for me to come up with it. While maybe not everyone will like it (and it has no direct relation to the functionality), I think that it stands out against many other icons (and personally, I like it very much).
Nick
I'd say yes, or at least they will catch my attention, which has greater possibility of a click. If something looks very sloppy or archaic, I might not be as motivated to investigate it.
AmazingSylvia
Of course it will. Attractive thumbnails makes me more interesting in clicking.
KC Onrade
Partly, but usually I check a product because of its functions and features or the product description visible along with the thumbnail display. :))
Arthur Davido
Hey guys, just tried out the 60 sec cps test on this site, and let me tell you, it's addictive! I mean, who knew clicking a mouse could be so much fun? I was skeptical at first, but once I started, I couldn't stop. It's like a race against the clock to see how many clicks you can get in just one minute. Trust me, it's way more challenging than it sounds!