Do product thumbnails play a role in your click decision?

Lindsay Davis
11 replies
As for me, I always click on products with catchy thumbnails. It's interesting for me to check the visual branding and the product itself, even if I don't need it for my work and daily life. What about you?

Replies

Laree Casper
It only works if the product thumbnail is as great as the product itself. Otherwise, it's just like a clickbait👎
Diane Hall
No, my clicks are based on product tags, I only search for products I 100% need.
Konrad S.
Yes, definitely. Being rational, the thumbnails will have a minimal impact on what product I finally decide to use, but if there are more options than I have time to check out, the icons are an important first indication for me. What do you think of App Finder's icon (producthunt.com/posts/app-finder, launched today)? Having not much exprerience with graphic design, it was a quite long process for me to come up with it. While maybe not everyone will like it (and it has no direct relation to the functionality), I think that it stands out against many other icons (and personally, I like it very much).
Nick
I'd say yes, or at least they will catch my attention, which has greater possibility of a click. If something looks very sloppy or archaic, I might not be as motivated to investigate it.
AmazingSylvia
Of course it will. Attractive thumbnails makes me more interesting in clicking.
Jamayal Tanweer
100% - as a designer, I always assess the overall branding. I aim not to be overly judgmental, recognizing that this is just the starting point. However, I firmly believe that a stellar product begins with exceptional branding.
KC Onrade
Partly, but usually I check a product because of its functions and features or the product description visible along with the thumbnail display. :))
Arthur Davido
Hey guys, just tried out the 60 sec cps test on this site, and let me tell you, it's addictive! I mean, who knew clicking a mouse could be so much fun? I was skeptical at first, but once I started, I couldn't stop. It's like a race against the clock to see how many clicks you can get in just one minute. Trust me, it's way more challenging than it sounds!