Did you ever hesitate building your product because there were similar solutions out there?

I recently came across a dilemma. I was going to build something which is not very popular, however, I could find tools/products that were quite similar to it. Even though what I build stands out in a few significant ways, I was slightly intrigued by it. How does an owner/creator deal with this? How to go over this?

Replies

Ng Fang Kiang
There are similar goals. However, it is better to build different things with different solutions.
Aurelian Spodarec
Its an easy answer for me. If there are similar products out there, my question is "Can I do it better?" - if the answer is yes, I go and do it. I also realise, that my odds are against me since I'm "late" to the party. However, you'll never be in a place where you're 100% confident you can do it or something else doesn't exist. Chances are, everything we build probably exist somewhere, unless you're a billionaire trillionare trying to create a bus to mars. If I can only do 5% better I won't bother with it. Plus, can I learn something from this experience meanwhile even if I was to fail? And are the chances of me doing something are big enough? I just go for it.
Stefan Morris
Coca-Cola dominates the market, yet is not the only game in town. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca... You'll be fine if you have a product that people like, I think.
I'm having this dilemma right now actually - I can see 2 products that haven't been worked on that I think I can improve. But it's going to be hard to attract the communities away....