Concentrating on tedious tasks - what's your method?

Tedious tasks can test our focus. Discuss your methods for staying engaged and motivated when working on repetitive or boring tasks!

Replies

Vidya Narayanan
When trying to create your product, tedious tasks are nothing new. They can often end up testing our patience. For me personally, breaking down things and making a roadmap of things to be done according to priorities has helped a lot.
Alina Salavatova
Send the kids outside to play and tell them not to talk to anyone, Because I'm working from home.
Anthea
Launching soon!
I like using a Pomodoro timer! It really helps with tedious tasks, just block out 25 minutes to push and focus
Roland Marlow
Launching soon!
Phone in DND. Set a timer and focus just on that for the duration of the timer. If it is not complete, reset the timer and start again.
Shem Lachhman
Break it down into smaller tasks. You can't do the whole thing in one sitting. Extend the time to finish the larger task. In this case it will be more bearable.
Rihab Zaidi
Block a time slot for the tasks and track it, because I noticed that my procrastination gets exceptionally persistent with repetitive tasks. I also set a reward for myself to look forward to when I finish, it helps in keeping me motivated. I try to schedule a creative task I enjoy on the same day to give my mind the mental stimulation it thrives.
Johaimalin Castillo
I'm really finding hard to focus these past months. I've been overwhelmed but pomodoro technique helps me a lot. I set a sort-of reward system to have an x minutes of break for every x minutes of work I do. πŸ˜… And I totally agree with @will_edward, turn off distractions.
Sharif Matar
The best method to concentrate on tedious tasks, based on research and psychology, is quite straightforward: Break it Down: Divide the task into smaller, manageable parts. This makes it less overwhelming and gives you a sense of achievement as you complete each part. Create a Distraction-Free Zone: Find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed. Turn off notifications on your phone or any other potential distractions. Use the Pomodoro Technique: Work for 25 minutes, then take a 5-minute break. This helps maintain your focus and gives your brain a short rest. Stay Hydrated and Snack Smartly: Drinking water and eating healthy snacks like nuts or fruit can keep your energy levels up. Reward Yourself: Give yourself something to look forward to after completing the task, like a treat or a short walk. Mindfulness and Deep Breathing: A minute of deep breathing or a quick mindfulness exercise can reset your focus. Remember, our brains aren't designed to focus for long periods on tasks we find boring, so these steps can really help keep your mind on track!
Tinna Williams
For me, it's the two-minute rule. If a task takes less than two minutes, I tackle it right away. It's surprising how many small things add up and make a dent in the overall workload.
Closing my eyes and hoping it’s automatically done when I open them πŸ˜…
Mansi Trivedi
I am here for the answers!
Anjali N
Music is my go-to companion for all day to day business and tasks! In fact, I am a procrastinator, I tend to save things for the last minute, and it creates a rush that increases my productivity incredibly.
@anjaliinambiar Music works for me for some types of tasks (e.g. programming). But not for others (e.g. write a text). Weird brain...
Ashley from Shadow
No need to concentrate! Utilize a task assistant like Shadow (https://www.shadow.do/) to do the tedious tasks for you! The reasons why we started building Shadow is so that we can spend time doing the things we want and not get caught up with brainless tasks that break our rhythm.
Heli
Clarify the goals and significance of tedious work; although it's tedious, there still needs to be a purpose to motivate oneself. Use the PomodoroπŸ… Technique to maintain focus and emphasize rest.
Pelibara
I found it intriguing that I do stay concentrated during working on tedious stuff, as I don't consume much energy so I wouldn't want to take a break from time to time.
Vincent Xu
I tackle tedious tasks by breaking them down into smaller, manageable chunks and rewarding myself after completing each one. Additionally, I often use a Pomodoro timer to maintain a steady pace and ensure regular breaks to keep my mind fresh and focused.
Asmita Gupta
All the ideas here are great and tried them all. The one that has worked best for me is to find a time that I am alone. For me this is typically early morning, before the emails/ meetings start. For some it could be late at night. Those two hours in morning help me do at least 4 hours worth of work.
Fabian Maume
I drink matΓ© πŸ§‰
Edena
With repetitive tasks, I find comfort in knowing what I have to do. Creative tasks can be overwhelming with possibilities while time is a factor, so I suppose I focus on the positive.