Why I Request Users to Pay for my BETA. (Landing page Hack)

Lou
7 replies
This is an experiment I have only started running today, and I'm already giggling at the thought of this conversion rate... So if you haven't clicked the link yet, I basically have two signup forms at the bottom of my landing page. (https://www.spreadtech.online/). The first one is for a $1 Prime access account to the Spread Beta. The second is a $0 Standard access account to the Spread Beta. --- *What do I hope to achieve?* A higher conversion rate into the free plan... Bet you never saw that coming. I don't care about the $1's. I want the emails. I believe having two options, paid and unpaid, will lead to a much higher conversion rate into the unpaid option. Rather than just leaving it at one option. I also believe the ones that do pay the $1 will have a much higher retention and engagement rate within the launched beta. --- *The psychology behind this* Have you ever spoken to anyone, and they ask you a favour like " Can I borrow your [favourite] pen?" You say "no", as it's your favourite. But then they ask, "well can I have your old pen then?" You reply "yes" as a way to subside the guilt for originally saying no. The same will happen on my landing page (I believe). Users generally won't signup for a paid BETA. Especially on a WIX made landing page. But they definitely will (and many have) signed up on the free one. This will be especially effective for users who would have otherwise closed the page and turned away. What do you think? I want to hear what you guys think of this method and if you'll be using it on your product's landing page? --- Spread like wildfire.

Replies

Tarek Dajani
I am a firm believer of always experimenting. You really have nothing to lose with this approach. Overall, I like the idea, it's unique. Would be nice if you share your stats, I am sure alot of people could use this approach as well. For myself, I am in the process of doing this financial valuation / feasibility study platform, so when I do launch, I will approach users myself and let them test it out. Good luck.
Lou
@tdajani I'm going to be completely transparent and let you know that my conversion rate has seemed to go down. So I have taken it out and left a single signup form. However, my quality of traffic has also gone down in the past few weeks so that may be the reason why. Use it for your own project, you may have better results than me! :)
YesAndUX
2 comments: Tiny typo - Personalised experienced. Change to Personalised experience. What is "p/m"? Do you mean to abbreviate $10 per month? The "/" replaces the "per". So $10/m, or $10/mo"
YesAndUX
@oglouuu Looking again, I think you need to spell out "month". There is nothing on the page that explains this is a monthly subscription. "m" might mean anything - media sources, minutes, ????
ABIR HS
I think this is so awesome. I am sold. Will you please share the following stats how it went?
Lou
@abir_hs I'm going to be completely transparent and let you know that my conversion rate has seemed to go down. So I have taken it out and left a single signup form. However, my quality of traffic has also gone down in the past few weeks so that may be the reason why. Use it for your own project, you may have better results than me! :)