How do you share/organize knowledge at work and life?

Gabriel Birnbaum
5 replies
How do you currently share & organize knowledge right now? What are the biggest challenges? Why? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

Jakub T. Jankiewicz
I have the my personal note taking app, where I keep all my notes and I keep a journal TIL (as a note) for things I've learned, but not the stuff from new technology I'm currently learning. I also usually, when I learning new tech like JavaScript framework, have testing app where I'm adding new stuff and sometimes have separated Note for language framework. For Vue.js I'm learning right now I only use simple test app., because the framework is simple but for Angular that is big and complex I have one note. Besides the app I also have NOTES folder on my drive I need to put all the notes into the app, so I have everything in one place, accessed from multiple computers (moving mobile notes and mobile support for my app is the next thing to do on my list).
Gabriel Birnbaum
@jcubic Interesting. And what don't you love about that? It seems to me like it has a bit of a single source of truth problem? I have that too with my notes. Plus I try to organize them in a more structured / searchable way since I now have over 300 of them.
Jakub T. Jankiewicz
@gavri_birnbaum recently I've added text based headers and links inside single note, I've used them before but didn't have the links, it's like TOC in right sidebar (good for longer notes). I also need to add search feature to my app, that will search everything, right now I only have filters. The only problem with this are links, since my notes are text based I need to add long links and above add label, it would be nice if that was just label and real link, but I like that notes are text based because they are simple and also displaying it is simple it's just textarea. I also think that single point of truth is not the problem, it's like when you login to Chrome, you have all your bookmarks. I also have lot of them and I don't use them anymore. I need to go through them and incorporate into notes by subject. The links are the most difficult things with my approach. Maybe I should do something different for them link Mind Maps. I've forget to mention that I'm editor of Wikipedia in my country and I have one sandbox page where I keep interesting articles mostly about math.
Gabriel Birnbaum
@jcubic Interesting set up you got there. I am working on a tool to help you organize links and notes into themes. Cause for me a lot of what I care about is in links as well, and I always want to relate it to my notes. In case that interests you let me know. It is really cool that you contribute to Wikipedia. I don't think I ever talked to someone who does.
Jakub T. Jankiewicz
@gavri_birnbaum If the tool would be public I can take a look, my notes taking app is open source, but I think that I'm the only person that use it https://github.com/jcubic/notes