What's the best way to generate pre-launch leads for the project you're building?

Thom Malone
4 replies
How are you generating interest for the project you're publicly building out with Product Hunt's Makers platform?

Replies

Jay Signorello
My favorite approach is to build a landing page for my project and then send paid search traffic (i.e. Adwords) to that page. This allows me to get very quick feedback. The benefits: 1) Quickly learn if the product that I'm plan on building or built is something people are interested in. It forces me to do my marketing homework upfront instead of at the end. 2) Through analysis of the data, I can learn if my marketing message is resinating with visitors. If it's not, I can fix it before launch. 3) This is an opportunity to gather additional user feedback on what users are looking for. If a feature is missing, no problem. I can add it before launch. Of course, you don't need to use paid search to run this exercise, though will just take longer to get value out of it.
Jay Signorello
@thom_malone I usually build a custom LP, using free templates or at least using a CSS framework to save time. The LP doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to make users feel it is legit. I don't think the tool really matters, just what works best for you. If using the PH LP makes it easier for you, go for it.
Thom Malone
@jaysignorello This is great. Thanks for the feedback. Does your landing page exist with the PH Ship tool? Or do you build your own custom LP and send the traffic there? I was considering doing this and sending traffic to the PH LP
Thom Malone
@jaysignorello Yeah that's great advice. In the original question I was specifically referring to the PH Maker's platform where PHer's subscribe for updates about your upcoming project but this is great advice regardless. Thank you!