Google now owns Fitbit. Should advertising companies own wearables data?

Abadesi
9 replies
Since Google announced its acquisition of Fitbit some devoted customers have said they will no longer use their wearables because they don't feel comfortable with Google owning their health data. What do you think?
Yes, why not.
No, it's concerning.

Replies

Building Brand @ProductPersonHQ
I love the way you phrased this question. "Advertising company" LOL
co-founder @ enombic
Their track record with sensitive health data is less than stellar: https://www.washingtonpost.com/t... Hopefully this was a wake-up call!
Founder and DEO
That's a very interesting question! I wonder how it's going to work globally given different privacy requirements in different countries, particularly around storing and processing personal data.
Product manager at Adobe
as a longtime fitbit user...yeah im terrified
Engineering SimpleBackups.com
I just admit to myself and know that whether I opt-out or opt-in, whether it's Google or any other company… my data is shared, will continue to be shared by one way or another (like those massive leaks for example that we see every now and then).
Founder & CEO, Hustle Crew
@zoxta does it feel like a losing battle?
Engineering SimpleBackups.com
@abadesi sadly it is. I choose to believe so and deal accordingly.
Sr Javascript Engineer
While I think we should own our own data and have full rights over who uses it and how, I'm not super concerned. This is due to the fact that mounds and mounds of data is already out there warehoused and being used market to us and at the very least build profiles on each of us.
Begging y'all to disrupt swimming pools
Of course it's concerning but since most health apps are already running on AWS this sense of "privacy" everyone thinks they have is really just a feeling with a mere sprinkle of reality.