How do you battle with distractions while working at home?

Alin Rauta
16 replies
Hi everyone, I've been working from home for a week and a half and I've not been able to stay distraction free. I'm curious how do you manage the distractions while working at home? I wish you all a productive week! Thanks, Alin

Replies

Francis Kim
I found that the best way to avoid distractions at home is not to work at home. I pay for a 24/7 co-working space that's close, and that really helps me a lot at times. Sometimes I go to a cafe, sometimes I'll just jump in the car and work there. If you can work when you want to, I find working later at night when my 3 year old son is asleep lets me get into the zone easily - as I'm trying to do now but was distracted by your discussion on PH :)
Luca
There are tactics and tools like: 1. keeping the distraction out of your sight 2. never start your day with emails, social media, news outlets 3. extensions that block certain websites 4. music for focus (brain.fm for example), 5. meditating to improve your focusing abilities 6. working always in the same place (not your bedroom) 7. having a routine before working to make the mind ready 8. blocking big chunks of time and working always at the same hours 9. having all you need with you (water and working tools, not your phone, that can wait, preferably in another room) The most important thing is that you are interested in what you are doing.
Ryzal Yusoff ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡พ
I have been trouble with this myself. That's why I often go out to coffee house to do my work instead ๐Ÿ˜‚
Abadesi
Sometimes distraction is inevitable and I am kind enough to myself to acknowledge that. That said, there are times it's just a pain and totally blocking productivity. When that happens I like to use things like Pomodoro timer to force myself to spend uninterupted time on a task. Other times I might change the music I'm listening to so I'm really focused on work. I might also move from the chair/sofa to my standing desk because I always feel more 'serious' when I'm on that!
Alin Rauta
@abadesi Haha, I loved that "move to my standing desk" part. I like to use noisli.com for focusing, I love it!
Vita Benes
Well, I use my own product Deprocrastination. I used to go down rabbitholes in the morning and check Twitter often, so I made an extension to help myself (and other remote working makers) stop. I have distracting sites blocked until noon (got a feature for that), then blocked from 12.20-4PM and from 4.20-8PM (using the Focus Zones feature). That gives my day a solid, distraction free structure. I also removed Twitter, Facebook, Reddit,etc from every other device (tablet, phone). This setup works for me. Hope this helps.
Cesar Zeppini
I would use my neighbourhood coffee shop as "remote office" instead of my home. No TV, no snacking on the fridge, no visitors, nothing. Just the white noise of the coffee house, maybe some movie soundtrack as music to focus, and work for a short but intensive time. 3-4 hours is my limit, but I get things done much faster and better than staying 8 hours in an office or at home.
Alin Rauta
@cesarzeppini I have the same working style: x hours when I just get things done and even hunger cannot get me distracted and then I just go and unwind.
Gaurav Harode
I suffer big time from distractions and 100% work from home. You should check out Focusmate (www.focusmate.com) if you haven't tried. It is a great service. It is free (for now). And has helped me a lot to get things done. No affiliation, just a happy user.
wlr
I start the day out with a 30 to 60 min free writing. Its very important for me just to write write write without editing or trying to be too perfect. I use this time to just dump out everything that is in my head. It can be easy or very hard. Sometimes I run from it but I always come back. Free-writing for me is the best way to review how I really feel and create clear actionable objectives about what I want to do and more importantly how I want to feel. This leads me to be almost distraction free. My biggest distractions have always been my own thoughts. Writing settles them and brings order. But, for me it must be done without pressure to document anything more than what just flows out.
David Jeremiah Fuimaono
Great question! I tend to: 1. Turn off my phone 2. Set a timer for how long I want to work in FLOW 3. Close the door 4. Sometimes play music that will help me focus depending on what Iโ€™m doing 5. Work in silence depending on what Iโ€™m doing 6. Communicate to everyone in the house that Iโ€™m unavailable for the next block of times 7. Have a work day startup ritual 8. Have a work day shutdown ritual Hope that helps! David Jeremiah