Opinion about beta testing or public launch strategy.

Sreekanth PM
13 replies
Looking to get opinions on the launch strategy. Option 1: Go with closed beta and then early adopter program, where we can give highly discounted pricing or maybe free to early adopters before the public launch. Option 2: Go with Closed Beta and then directly public launch with Launch offer (Discounted Price) for 6 months or one year. In my opinion, first will be better to understand the adoption and customer feedback about the feature sets and competition so that we can plan on the exact positioning of our product. What about you?

Replies

Haris
I suggest to go with Option 1. You will know exactly and tweak your pricing strategy based on the feedback you got from those early adopters.
Zolani Matebese
Hi, I'd personally go with option 2. The more users you have and the more diverse they are, the better your overall feedback will be. If you are confident in product stability, higher user numbers are (almost) always a good thing
Sreekanth PM
@zolani_matebese I prefer option 1. this is for creating an early adopter program to get a customer on discounted price. Giving discounts on public launch is not an ideal one. This is my personal opinion.
Sof
What about option 3, Closed Beta and then public launch at an appropriate price without discount? I agree with one of the previous comment, launching with a discount isn't ideal. But you should also specify what product are we talking about, the answer isn't the same if it's a 1$ gaming app or if it's a $100,000/year enterprise software obviously :)
Sreekanth PM
@sof Yeah, giving discounts after public launch is not good either way. But for the early customers, it is better to give a discount so they will onboard easier. That is why I was asking about an early adopter program where you can give the discount as a reward because they trust you as a newcomer!!! or else how can we give preference to those who trust your product as new in the market?
Mohd Hairol
Bagi saya harga bukan masalah untuk pelanggan..janji menyoronokan,mudah dicari tidak lecih untuk mengguna dan tidak banyak ragam itu diutamakan...disertakan deskaun itu adalah bonus bagi memperkenal kn sesuatu program itu untuk cepat dikenali umum.. Bagi saya la sebagai pengguna ..
Katie Ames
I like option 1 - I also think the earlier you can get a sale, even a highly discounted sale, the better. Good luck!
Samantha Merlivat
Both approach would work though, depends what kind of scale and degree of involvement you're looking for. I'd go with option 1, even if it's probably a bit more work. It will be easier to set expectations for product that might still have bugs and have people cooperate with you to help find and resolve them. Could also get you to sales faster. You can still do a large Beta, just be aware that it will be more work as you need to onboard the users and will have to manage and interact with them more than you would with a public launch (ahead of onboarding them with the Beta). Good luck!
Carol C. Wilson
Both are good, I think it depends on the strategy and the results/feedback you want to get.