Would you open source your product or not and why?

Ephraim Atta-Duncan
4 replies

Replies

Stephen Paul Weber
Our entire product is and has always been open source and I would never build any other way. I want my customers to feel like we are a solid and secure product with their best interest in mind, not a corporation with something to hide about the way we process their data. Additionally, users need to have the right to modify anything that might not be in line with the needs or values of their community, and that's another reason we make sure everything we do is always open source. It's also great marketing.
JD
Security is an important part of our software development. Open sourcing your product can allow malicious actors to gain access to your source code, which could lead to the compromise of sensitive data or the creation of malicious derivatives of your product. By keeping your source code private, you can better protect your intellectual property and prevent malicious actors from gaining access to it. But in the Simulfund app, we leave it to users to test the encryption we used. In iOS and macOS, all data saved and encrypted in the app is easily accessible and visible for more transparency.
I think not. As a startup, our proprietary technology gives us a competitive advantage. Open sourcing it would undermine our business model and intellectual property.
Eden
I would open source anything that wouldn't cause any security issues. For example if it's just logic that runs locally on a machine that's fine, but definitely not if it includes the logic to retrieve customer info / validating auth / etc.