Why working at Slack made me a better founder

Eden
2 replies
I think the dropout of college trope is highly romanticized. Going all in on your startup with no backup plan. Yeah... not for me. I worked at Google & Slack together for around 7 years before quitting and have no regrets. I think what you learn from companies at this scale can directly apply to startups like: 1. Mastering the art of prioritization 2. Setting internal deadlines and meeting them 3. Learning from highly skilled engineers While I don't have any consistent MRR yet, I'm proud of how agile my co-founder and I have been when it comes to elevating our offerings. So if you're early in your SWE career I totally recommend starting in big tech, you can save your money and learn so when it's time to make the big jump you're prepared. I'm launching a course on how to get into big tech, join the waitlist: waitlist.gettostaff.com

Replies

Syed Arsalan Amin
Nice advice @entreeden but what about working in big tech for many years one don't other aspects of a successful startup like sales and marketing.
Mahyad
That’s an interesting take, I would maybe suggest starting with a SWE role at a seed stage or Series A startup, and then trying a big tech job, if your goal is to start your own startup. But agree that it definitely helps to get your practice round done at another company before your own