Why are new productivity tools launched almost every day?

Lena Pol
25 replies
How would you explain this trend?

Replies

Giles Crouch
Great question! Productivity tools are largely table stakes today. They're easy to create and implement. This has created a dearth of tools, but hurt productivity because there are so many and many companies use different ones for different parts of the organisation and they often don't play nice together. Except 2024 to be a year where companies start to slash their MarTech/SalesTech stacks and productivity tools will face serious headwinds to find market traction.
Lunar
Everyone notices the lack of productivity and tries to bring their own solution to it.
Max Girkins
Everyone wants to be more productive and everyone works in subtly different ways, therefore there seems to be room to provide a solution for people that isn't yet been provided. ...Therefore I'm launching Tatask tomorrow 😂 (I wish this was satire)
@mgirkins what if we create a productivity tool to manage all the productivity tools you use
thina samin
Adding more tools can paradoxically increase complexity and overwhelm users, negating the intended productivity gains. The rapid launch cycle reflects this constant search for the "ideal" solution, even if it leads to information overload.
Jonathan Tahiry
Too much distractions these days, can’t focus more than 5 minutes, can’t stay productive for long either.
rebecca kim
Building software has become more accessible than ever.
Nick
I think everyone is looking for a faster, more efficient way to get things done and get organized. However, there are lots of productivity apps out that are really great but may be be lacking one or two features that people are looking for. So more keep coming out trying to close gaps and integrations and now to be honest I don't know which one I want to use. I am looking for something that encapsulates everything, task management, a full note taking system for like a "second-brain" knowledge base, communication and broad sharing integrations, automations, scheduling, document and file storage, and basic app integrations like Office 365, Outlook, Gmail, etc. Right now Notion and Todoist are my go-to productivity apps along with some Google calendar and a couple email clients. I been looking at Sunsama, AnyType, xTiles, and more, but it will take sometime I guess before I find the perfect or close to perfect setup for myself lol.
@reconcatlord spot on. I do believe notion is very customizable. But there is a learning curve to it, that’s for sure
Crystal J
@reconcatlord I agree!! So many "second brain" products in the market. Even though we are also developing automated workflows(Modelize.ai), I think there is still a long way to go, but I believe we can make it through. Personally, I prefer using Notion plus the Chrome extension product called Sider. So convenient for getting things done.
Nick
@crystal_j I will have to check out Sider, and I really like notion. I tried Obsidian but thought it was ridiculous that I had to pay just to synch my files and notes. Notion has an insane amount of functionality, but like @slimmy82 said, it does have a big learning curve for the more advanced and integrated features. I have seen some templates that are so good in both design and function that they don't even feel like original Notion anymore, that's where I would like to get my usage up to, but I just need to spend more time with it. PH is awesome but it also is an insane distractor as I am always trying out new products and trying new integrations and tricks lol. 😊
T
Cause people still feel distracted and have more and more work to manage and complex workflows and need new solutions that cater to their needs.
Sarthak Jain
People who develop it( are generally closest to that people in tech industry) problem. If folks from other industry knew how to develop, we would see a lot more tools.
Harold Gary
In my view, it is due to several reasons: 1. Market Demand: With the emergence of new work types and assignments, there is a continuous need for tools that can enhance efficiency and streamline workflows because time is money. 2. Diverse work environments also bring different needs for productivity tools that can help teams adapt to new ways of working, such as remote work, freelance work, mobile work, and online meetings. 3. Competition: Companies in the tech industry compete to provide the most innovative solutions. Launching new tools helps them stay ahead in the market and attract users. But regardless, some leeway can be given for free productivity tools. For example, iBoysoft MagicMenu (Lite version) https://iboysoft.com/magic-menu/ is free Mac software that customizes and enhances the right-click menu. This makes tasks like creating a new file, moving/copying/transferring files, and quickly accessing items (such as software, documents, weblinks) easy—all with just one click.
Minh Sơn Lê
Many people want to make their own business, solve small problems, so they create new product. With the development of chatgpt, AI API, develop a web service is not difficult anymore.
Sjoerd Handgraaf
The saddest reason is probably that most people prefer to spend their time looking for the ultimate solution to be productive, rather than actually being productive. If you're struggling with this, I can really really recommend "Four-thousand weeks - Time management for mortals" by Oliver Burkeman: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Thou... It really put things in the right perspective, which is much more important and helpful than another tool.
Alvaro Villalba Perez
hahaha laughed a lot -- it's 100% a reality. Maybe unproductive people trying to solve their performance problems?
Francesco D'Alessio
To keep me in the job.
Francesco D'Alessio
Serious, everyone has an opinion in productivity and that helps mould the space forward for people. People are always craving a better way to do something, so the product market fit works.
jenny
While new productivity tools continue to emerge, I believe the key differentiator lies in their ability to address the unique challenges of modern teams. Clariti, for instance, stands out with its contextual communication capabilities, which have proven invaluable in helping our team maintain focus, avoid redundancies, and make informed decisions. By tackling the root causes of inefficiency, Clariti has unlocked new levels of productivity for us. @efficient_builder923