When sending cold emails, do you spend time researching your leads or do you mass email?

Manuel Martínez-Arraya
13 replies

Replies

Mukhil Maran
I think those two are different extremes altogether. One is about quantity and another one is about (assumed) quality. But, I think we can actually make our mass cold emails personalized by making sure we segregate the audience as per their profiles. We call it as 'Personalized Mass mail'. For example, if you have 1000 email IDs, then try segregating the mail IDs according to their job profiles. In this way, we can write the pitch attending to their pain points, and problems. This will impact in the rate of relevancy and connectivity in receivers' end, thus making them feel personalized. This is just my statement backed from observation and limited experiments. Hope it helps :) All the best for your next 'personalized mass mail' @manuel martinez-arraya
Manuel Martínez-Arraya
@mukhil_maran Thanks for the comment this is great feedback! Trying to understand how people personalize their emails since I'm developing an app for it :)
Carter Michael
I research my leads. Cold emails are already annoying even if they make sense. it just feels like an invasion of privacy, like a spam phone call, an annoyance. HOWEVER, they can be effective so I can't see them ever stopping. I don't like doing them though, always feel like I'm annoying the person I'm emailing. SO, for that reason I try and research the lead before hand to avoid ending up in spam boxes and being irrelevant to the person I might be speaking with.
Manuel Martínez-Arraya
@carter_barnett This is great, thanks for the comment. I'm currently developing a tool to help people research leads and better understand the leads that they target. Would you be interested in trying it once we release the MVP?
Yavuz Tunc Emran
I have tried both and I can tell you the mass email and detailed personalised mails have very similar open and reply rates. Not worth the trouble lol
Manuel Martínez-Arraya
@tunc_emran Interesting to hear -- what is your ICP? Do you think it makes sense to mass email even when you have a small niche to target?
Felix
Since I switched skills a few months ago I don't really cold DM/email anymore, but the times I did... I always researched the lead. Why would they answer you otherwise? Just ask yourself the question: Would you answer a random and unspecific message of a stranger?
Diana Washington
As someone who has sent a fair share of cold emails, I can confidently say that taking the time to research and personalize each email is well worth the effort. While it may be tempting to send out mass emails to a large number of leads, this approach is often less effective and can lead to lower response rates.
Manuel Martínez-Arraya
@dia_wash_nj Thanks for the comment -- I agree, and to me, it is starting to look like mass emailing will die in the short term. With the AI boom, personalization and relevance of the emails is starting to become more important.
Richard Diaz
I've sent a lot of cold emails over the years, so I firmly believe in researching each lead before sending an email. Even though it could be tempting to send a bulk email to a lot of contacts, doing so is frequently ineffective and might come across as impersonal.