What would you prefer on social media: AI-generated images or real ones?

Anna Titova
21 replies
Do you think people will continue to take real photos and videos of themselves in the future, or will all the content for social media be generated by AI?

Replies

M.Furkan Yılmaz
It's a good question Anna, I think real images will be preferable on social media. AI might be smart, but it can't beat the real deal! Sure, it can create a picture-perfect beach, but can it get sunburn? I don't think so! Sharing real-life snaps and videos on social media is like sharing a piece of our world. And let's be honest, it's much more fun seeing your friend's wacky dance moves or grandma's cat doing somersaults than any AI creation. So, while AI might join the party with some content, our own real photos and videos will always be the life of the social media party. Why settle for a robot when you can have a whole circus of real characters?
Ghazal Dewar
Real ones, always.
Mark | Paid Ad Templates
I’m fascinated with AI generated art but hands down real images.
Sachin shajan
I personally will not go with AI generated images
Ekrem Çetinkaya
Both are fine as long as they are pleasing to the eye. Though, I would still prefer the real ones for the sake of future datasets to be used in training new AI models. If we just flood the Internet with AI-generated content, we won't be having the new Stable Diffusion moment.
Anna Titova
@ekrcet actually, that's the point of our long term strategy: utilizing original photos to constantly update foundational models used to generate AI content
Definitely real images, I understand AI generated images are fascinating and really take us wherever the mind can wander, but something so relatable about real images right?
Depends on the quality, intent and audience. There's no single strategy. But people do value authenticity and things that can't be replicated, so it's fundamentally harder to that with AI-generated socials.
Anna Titova
@rawoyemi the problem is that users could potentially pass off generated content as real, and we wouldn't even realize it. On the other hand, I am sure that social media platforms will introduce badges warning that the photo was generated by artificial intelligence
Anastasiia Veselova
As a product visionary, I believe both AI-generated and real images have their own unique advantages on social media. AI-generated photos allow users to express themselves more creatively and imaginatively, while real images and videos can capture authentic moments and emotions. That being said, AI-generated content will not wholly replace real photos and videos in the future. People will continue to take real photos and videos of themselves and their surroundings because they provide a personal touch and a way to share their unique experiences with others. Additionally, some social media platforms prioritize real and original content over AI-generated content.
Olga Pavlova
I prefer to avoid social media at all. As for people in general, AI wins.
Cihan Abut
My personal preference would depend on the specific project and its objectives. But I tend to lean towards real images
Robin Singhvi
Does it matter tbh? If the image is relevant to the content you're sharing and appealing to the user, perhaps this question becomes moot? Just thinking out loud...
I think we are at the point that it is very hard to distinguish the real images from the AI generated ones
Having used Dall E, Stability AI, Midjourney and the likes for a few months now, my guess is that we probably may not even be able to tell the difference between AI generated and real ones by next year :)
Anna Titova
@rakesh1 this is why I think that social media platforms will introduce badges warning that the photo was generated by artificial intelligence
Anna Titova
Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this topic. I'm asking because I recently received feedback on my product stating that people will soon cease taking photos of themselves, opting instead to generate images. The argument posits that "there's no point in creating such a service". My global vision is as follows: as a micro-influencer, I can confidently assert that trust and audience loyalty are invaluable assets. If it becomes known that a beloved brand or influencer is presenting a generated photo as genuine, they stand to lose that trust. Moreover, if they openly publish generated images, it will eventually become "not a big deal" and won't elicit enthusiasm from the audience because "everyone does it." People value originality. I'm not sure if comparing fake Chanel bags to genuine ones is entirely apt, but hypothetically, people continue to buy and are willing to pay a significant sum for the authentic Chanel. The crucial aspect is knowing it's genuine. I am confident that users will find ways to verify the originality of their content, and such content will be highly valued P.S. Based on your answers you would prefer original content :)
Ty Scheiner
Personally, I still like real images better, but I guess AI-generated images have their place, especially when it comes to making animations look cool!
Rupal Saini
Yeah, there are so many good generative AI image tools like Midjourney, but I still prefer real images.