What's your experience with Lifetime Deals for your product ?

Toni
10 replies
Lifetime Deals can be a great way to get some cash in. But I wonder if it's worth the cost in the long run, when you want to build a scalable business ?

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
I think it is a good thing when you want to have first customers that will give you feedback and have some "SOCIAL PROOF". And then, you can change to a subscription model. It depends on the long-term goals.
Toni
@busmark_w_nika Totally agree on the benefits. Feedback and social proof are one of the upsides of lifetime deals. Lots of exposure (if you partner with AppSumo for instance) can also boost the business. But i wonder about the downsides in the long run : customer support, maintenance, no upsell...
Business Marketing with Nika
@toni_pm yes, there should be some limitation (maybe in numbers, like first 100 users will be lifetime).
Vaibhav
I received the opportunity to promote the lifetime deal of my first Saas on AppSumo. I made a little over $500 and then it stopped. For initial momentum, it is definitely helpful. But don't have a lot of hopes!
Toni
@realdesigntack Thanks for sharing ! why did it stop ? do you know ?
Vaibhav
@toni_pm My guess is that they have a hoard of products with deals being added daily. So, they intentionally "tone down" the publicity of your deal with time.. (not sure if that makes sense).
Konrad S.
As you say, you may get cash quickly, and also good reviews. And you can stop offering new such deals at any time. I can only see a problem if your target audience is too small, of the operating cost per user is too high. I have good experience with this for my B2C SaaS https://skyica.com/appfinder/, but the target audience is huge, and operating cost per user is very small.
Toni
@konrad_sx Thanks for sharing. Indeed the cash and publicity can be quite interesting. To me it makes sense if you get a huge bump in publicity and signups - with an AppSumo partner deal for example. So that you can gather reviews as you say and ramp up. But if i see examples in B2B SaaS, it's also life time support for the customers with the deal, maintenance and operating costs you can't upsell etc.
Daria R.
It gives you a lot of reviews and marketing promotion through different channels. It also increases brand awareness and helps you to build a strong community around your product.
Gurkaran Singh
Lifetime Deals can feel like winning the tech lottery, but navigating their impact on long-term growth is like choosing between instant gratification and sustainable success in the startup world. Quite the balancing act, isn't it?