What's the one thing you hate most about marketing advice aimed at early-stage startups?

Lucy Heskins
7 replies
Don't hold back: I'd love to hear what you think. Is it people sharing a ton of theory but absolutely no way to apply it? Is it when others tell you to only focus on performance marketing? Please share! (and when you do, let me know if you're a founder or a marketer!)

Replies

Benoit COLLET
It's when mentors tell you "you should test that" without asking what are the marketer or founder's skills... Like "you should test your audience and value proposition with Facebook Ads and see"... even when the person hates Facebook and would perform 10x better on another channel... The worst part is when the mentor says the same advice to everyone 😩
Neil Cocker
It's always frustrating when they don't give examples. Especially if they're not particularly good at explaining it in practical terms. A real life example often "unlocks" it.
Sandra Idjoski
I hate mentores/lecturers who are certain that their way is the only way whithout too much explanation. Especially if they have no experience with working in a startup. *Both a founder and a marketer
Geri Máté
They're too generic and usually not helpful at all. For example mentors tell you to find your audience, which you already defined, and when you ask questions on how to reach them - coming up with real examples and real advice - they press the play button on the BS generator. Also they're very stubborn about their own ways and don't want to hear about anything else.
Oscar Wehbe
People using examples from 15 years ago when the landscape of how to kickstart growth is completely different.
Aruna Chawla (she/her)
Thinks throwing money at everything is the solution. It's not. Early-stage needs solid first principles thinking to set the stage for the coming years.
Amelia Lagos
Go for MVP fast, it's going to be fine. Well if your startup is about visual experience, that's the worst advice you could get.