What's the best gift you've ever received? 🎁

Jonathan Nass
103 replies
As holiday shopping gets into full swing (and we gear up to launch Outdone V2 next week!!), we'd love to know what your favorite or most memorable gift was. For me, it was my first big bike — a dark green Mongoose with black pegs. I remember being so pumped to see it sitting in the garage. It was so much more than a bike, it was a ticket to freely explore the whole neighborhood with my friends. What was it for you? And while you’re here, don’t forget to sign up to be notified when Outdone V2 officially launches next Monday! https://www.producthunt.com/prod...

Replies

Octavian Codrea
gen 1 starter pokemon socks
Hugh Lagrotteria
Oh man... mine was definitely the PS2 I got for my 7th birthday 🎮 I really remember that gift because I wanted it so badly, and my parents re-wrapped it in a Merrell shoe box to make it look like was getting hiking boots instead of the PS2 I'd been asking for for months 😅
Micky Nguyen
@hugh_lagrotteria 😂all the gifts we got when we were kids are always memorable!
Sachin shajan
@hugh_lagrotteria @jonathan_nass It's a cool tag you have got up there saying 'Launching Soon'. Is it a paid feature ? :)
Jonathan Nass
@hugh_lagrotteria @sachin_shajan Nope, not a paid feature! It popped up once we scheduled our launch and made our Teaser page!
Mike Kennedy
@hugh_lagrotteria I got one at probably around the same age. It was even more of a surprise because my parents had always been very adamant that we were never getting a gaming console.
Satish Kumar Veluri
I don't want to sound sentimental, if you are asking my most memorable gift...then it would be my daughter 😃 Keeping that aside...The day I bought myself a royal enfield thunderbird😃my all time favorite.
Jonathan Nass
@satish_kumar_veluri both are great gifts! Nothing wrong with sounding sentimental.
Jonathan Nass
@satish_kumar_veluri have you ever gotten a really strange gift? Hoping to get that discussion going over here — https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Bjarn Bronsveld
As a kid, definitely my Playmobil Space Station - that thing was huge! But, even though it might sound cliché, I really appreciate the company on a birthday or holiday more than physical gifts. Always have and always will. These days as I am now "older", I don't even like receiving or getting gifts. I just want a good time.
Jonathan Nass
@bjarnbronsveld Playmobil was the best! And I agree. As I get older, I just want to spend birthdays and holidays with as many friends and family members as I can!
Sule Gorgulu
My best friend surprised me with a free pass to a SPA saloon & 45-min massage from a professional... It was like a dream LOL
Jonathan Nass
@sule_gorgulu sounds incredible — I need a friend like that!
Harshavardhan Reddy
Received many and some of them are Samsung note 8 from my friend... A lavish house from my parents...
Jonathan Nass
@harsha_vardhan01 have you ever been gifted something super strange? If so, would love to hear over here —> https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Aaron O'Leary
That's a really tough one, probably a piece of jewellery that was handed down to me
Ivan Gribin
The best gift I’ve ever received is a handwritten letter from a close friend. Knowing that they took the time to write out their feelings and thoughts meant the world to me. Even though it wasn’t a material thing, it was still one of the most meaningful gifts I’ve ever received.
Micky Nguyen
I think it is a meaningful and valuable gift especially in modern life driven by technology. Handwritten letters are no longer popular nowadays in which tech devices are becoming indispensable.
JOSHIN VARGHESE
I have received a lot of gifts but the most dearest one was made by nephews who unexpectedly get to know it was my birthday & created something from scratch on plain paper & presented it to me. It may not be that valuable, but it just touched me.
Reshma S
The best gift that I have received is my little kitten🐱 from my dearest frnd.. 🥰🥰
Vivek P
They were story books that my father gave me to read in my childhood. Those books brought me to reading. I learned that there is another world beyond my living environment and how to include everyone. Books have helped me live a happy life today and think positively. Books lets me travel without moving my feet.
Jonathan Nass
@vivek_p2 great answer! Some of my favorite gifts in life have been books as well. Few gifts have the ability to have such a lasting impact.
Micky Nguyen
The most memorable gift is my grandmother's necklace. She gave me her most precious jewelry sticking with her for decades since she was a young enthusiastic lady.
Jonathan Nass
@mickynguyen that's awesome! It's so cool to think about all the stories inherited jewelry holds
Jonathan Nass
@mickynguyen on another note, have you ever received a really strange gift? Feel free to share in our new discussion over here — https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Micky Nguyen
Hi @jonathan_nass I have just visited your project's website. To be honest, it is really easy to use when I went through a short survey on your platform. I like the idea of utilizing the power of AI to suggest suitable gifts for certain types of people. It would be great if there are more different kinds of gift suggestion! All the best for you and your team!
Jonathan Nass
@mickynguyen Thanks for the kind words! And you're absolutely right — we definitely need a wider variety of gifts in the recommendations. We'll be sure to do that in V3! 😎
Todd Hinson
Honestly socks and underwear will never get old for me! It’s the most practical gift I will ever receive and I will always have a need for them! And paper towels 🤣🤣
Jonathan Nass
@todd_opertivo haha nothing wrong with practical gifts — never have to worry about getting use out of them
Jonathan Nass
@todd_opertivo I feel like you might have a funny answer for this one. Now we're looking to hear about the strangest gift you've ever received https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Kelly
Mine was definitely a pair of pink pants that my mom bought me when I was 9.
Business Marketing with Nika
Those I bought for myself. 😅 Especially books or courses. Many family members give me clothes and material things that are consumer things, but the most precious for me is education, something, that has everlasting value.
Jonathan Nass
@busmark_w_nika haha maybe it's time to tell your family you'd prefer some books instead! But I totally agree, books and education are much more impactful than something you might only wear for a year or so.
Badr El Anouar
A great financial advice 😉
Carla Kargaard
When we first moved to snowy Scandinavia (from sunny South Africa), I spotted a beautiful snuggly winter coat in a department store. It was love at first sight 😍. We were beyond broke at the time, but my man managed to scrape the money together to buy it for me for Christmas. It's still my fav six years later.
Jonathan Nass
@carla_kargaard that's so sweet. I'm sure you're reminded of how you felt at the time every time you go to wear it!
Jonathan Nass
@carla_kargaard on the flip side, have you ever received a really strange gift? We're discussing that over here now — https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Thasleema Samad
The best gift I ever received was a pyrography kit(wood burning )...
Seeing Chen
That must be the RTX 3060Ti I bought for my one-year-old daughter