What do you think about Reddit going dark over api prices?

Anil Matcha
15 replies

Replies

From Reddit's explanation, the drive is cost and profitability driven. From the outside looking in, I am leaning toward giving them the slack as they are an unprofitable company that now needs to make decisions to turn things around. Free/cheap things are great but unless they are sustainable, we shouldn't expect them to be free/cheap forever.
Geoff Dougherty
I think it must be tricky to make changes without backlash, but it sounds as though they were not profitable enough to continue as they were.
Hashnimo
They are all going dark because there's a risk of AIs using their cheaper API to train models. It's a blessing in diguise because no AI should learn on a bunch of toxic community text, like Reddit. It's too late anyway, and no pricing out there can stop multimillion-dollar companies from training.
Anan Niamul
I can offer some general observations about the impact of changes to API prices. APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) are essential tools that allow developers to access and interact with data from platforms like Reddit. Changes in API pricing or policies can have implications for developers, third-party applications, and the overall ecosystem surrounding the platform.
Arthur Liebhardt
What I don't understand is whether the motive behind covering costs is to address the expense of maintaining the "legacy" architecture or to eliminate unwanted apps. Twitter has discontinued numerous bootstrapped indie hacker applications, choosing to solely focus on larger ones that can afford the exorbitant fee of $42k.
As a user very annoying! But it was a good idea to try and make clear to Reddit the issues that they are causing by raising the prices.
Gaurav Prasad
Reddit to go dark over API prices would likely generate discussions and debates within the developer community and among Reddit users. Some might argue that such a move could limit innovation, hinder the development of third-party applications, or negatively impact the user experience. On the other hand, others may understand the need for pricing adjustments to sustain the platform's operations or improve its infrastructure.
Moon
I completely agree with you. It's frustrating when APIs get messed with for no reason. We rely on them to make our software products work, and sudden changes can cause major disruptions. Hopefully other companies will learn from this and leave their APIs alone. Thanks for bringing attention to this issue.
Melissa Phillips
As a Growth Strategist, I believe the recent event of Reddit going dark due to API prices has raised valid concerns within the developer community. The accessibility and affordability of APIs play a significant role in fostering innovation and allowing third-party developers to create valuable integrations with platforms like Reddit.
Tamizharasan GC
Reddit is a popular online community platform that allows users to share and discuss content across various topics. API (Application Programming Interface) is a set of rules and protocols that enables different software applications to communicate and interact with each other. API pricing changes or controversies can impact how third-party developers and services integrate with Reddit's platform and utilize its data.
Ailsa Williamson
Well, it's definitely a hot topic in the Reddit community. Going dark over it is a strong move by the users to express their frustration and disagreement. It just shows how passionate and engaged Redditors can be when it comes to issues they care about. Let's hope they find a resolution that satisfies everyone and keeps the Reddit community thriving.