What are some best practices for product roadmap development and prioritization?

Binay Singh
13 replies

Replies

Nick Mazikov
If you are facing the question of finding funding for your startup right now, please contact us - we can help you solve the problem
Hiteshu jani
The main aim of a product roadmap is to do following: 1. To Envision :- Answers to what and why for a product ? 2. To Prioritize :- Over here it refers to measuring impact vs complexity. 3. To find Direction :- It will be help in deciding NSM for a product . NSM should overlap with vision . 4.Start with its Evolution :- It depends on direction and prioritizing feature. We can easily initiate it with by a MVP. Once you are done with identifying problems then work on the question "How my product will create an impact ? ". After it you can communicate it with your team. Now the question comes is how will you identify problems? 1. Start analysing qualitative data : - Listen or talk with users to bring out pain points. 2. Analyse quantitative data :- Tap in the data collected . Try to find insights and cross verify it with above. 3. Outhouse learning: - Identify competitor and learn from them. So for prioritizing you can use Impact X Complexity Matrix. After it try to write PR-FAQ of a product.
PM Optimizer
What company are you in? It depends on who are your stakeholders and how mature is the product mindset in your company. I found the best roadmap is the now/next/later roadmap for long-term planning to know where your product is heading. This is a bit tough because ideally, you're trying to solve problems that bring the most benefit to your company & users. You should ideally solve the problems until they're solved so there's why this roadmap doesn't have any deadline or timeline (which is the way it should be). I'm alongside that using a roadmap for my development team that includes initiatives we'll be working on in the upcoming sprint to add it to a context but we know these plans can change and the initiatives can be prolonged if needed. What we're doing is doing a dual-rack development so at the same time, we're discovering problems our users have and the engineers are working on problems we already have designs for and that were tested.
Beatriz Campos
I recently shared some best practices here https://www.producthunt.com/disc... let me know your thoughts on them!
branden caufield
Your article content is extremely fascinating. I'm extremely intrigued with your post. I desire to get more incredible posts. Dinar Guru
Saul Fleischman
Prioritize features that you have the strongest reason to believe people will pay for. Money will be your life blood, if it isn't already.
Pavel Kukhnavets
Some best practices for product roadmap development include: 1) Choosing an appropriate online tool for roadmapping (I am fond of GanttPRO Gantt chart maker https://ganttpro.com/. 2) Aligning the roadmap with your overall business strategy and goals. 3) Involving stakeholders from different parts of your company. 4) Prioritizing initiatives based on user needs and impact on business goals. 5) Maintaining a balance between short-term and long-term goals. 6) Reviewing and updating the roadmap constantly. 7) Keeping the roadmap flexible and adaptable to change.