What are Easter traditions in your country?

My origins are in Slovakia. πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡° You can experience here: πŸ₯š Painting eggs and giving out chocolate eggs/bunnies 🍫 πŸ₯§ Baking traditional dishes and serving alcoholic drinks πŸ₯‚ 🎡 Singing traditional songs πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦ Family gatherings πŸ’¦ OK, and this one... is not I am very proud of but... (quoted from the internet): "Dousing women in water on Easter Monday is one of Slovakia's most treasured traditions. In some cases, after they are splashed with water, women are also whipped with a whip braided from thin branches of a willow." πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ – it is because people believed that after this women would be pretty and healthy. πŸ« πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚ – thankfully, this is less common every year. People in villages used to take it seriously but as I said... thankfully. Less and less practised. And what about your Easter holidays? πŸ˜€

Replies

Simona O'Neill
Love these traditions Nika! ☺️Well maybe not the water one πŸ˜…. Growing up in Lithuania we also painted eggs and had a tradition of gently whipping boys and girls with a colourful handmade bunch of twigs/willows. It was always fun and we didn’t get hurt in anyway but a weird tradition for sure πŸ˜‚. I’ve been living in Ireland for the past 20 years and my husband is Irish . But we still maintained the tradition of painting eggs and then playing a game of cracking and rolling eggs. Makes it so much more interesting and fun than just giving each other a chocolate egg, which is the only Irish tradition as far as I know . 😊Happy Easter 🐣 Happy new beginning and super bright long days ! β˜€οΈπŸ₯š
Business Marketing with Nika
@simona_o_neill3 That with water used to be pretty cringe. Guys threw the girls into the stream. πŸ˜­πŸ™ˆπŸ˜€ Thank god, I am not from the village so this tradition could not be examined on me. πŸ˜€ How do people from Ireland perceive your tradition of whipping? :D Happy Easter, to you as well! β€οΈπŸ™‚
Ignas Vaitukaitis
@simona_o_neill3 Labas fellow Lithuanian. Today is the first time I am teaching my Brazilian wife how to paint eggs, but I'm struggling with it myself πŸ˜„. I want to keep the tradition alive.
@simona_o_neill3 @zer0tokens Hahaha, I have never been good at painting them... only at eating those chocolate eggs. πŸ˜„
Simona O'Neill
@zer0tokens Vau labas! πŸ€—Visada smagu lietuviskai pakalbeti su kazkuom 😊. Haha, the best trick and the easiest way to paint eggs is to put loads of onion peels into a pot and cook your eggs in it. Always works .
Simona O'Neill
@busmark_w_nika hahaha I can just imagine. We don't do whipping anymore. It would not go down too well here πŸ˜‚
Viola Schoell
Our traditon is: Painting eggs and giving out chocolate eggs/bunnies πŸ₯š and celebrate with family
@viola_s which country are you from? πŸ™‚
hunter
we don't celebrate in nepal
@hunter_7777 Do you have any other holiday similar to Easter?
Gurkaran Singh
Wow, those are some fascinating Slovakian Easter traditions! From painting eggs to whipping with willow branches, it's a unique mix of old and new customs. In India, we celebrate with colorful decorations, sweet treats, and family gatherings, but I can assure you, the water and willow branches are not part of our festivities! πŸ˜‰ How about your Easter holidays? πŸ˜„
@stain What special dishes do you have in mind? :)
Yami Sun
Launching soon!
Wishing you a joyful Easter! We absolutely adore your Easter story, and it would be fantastic if you could share your stories when our product officially takes the stage. We're launching "Cascad3 - A decentralized inspiration-driven publishing platform" on Product Hunt soon. I would appreciate your support and feedback by clicking the "Notify Me" button. Thank you!πŸ™
Nitin Joshi
Happy Easter to you!
Luka Brzin
Hey i'm from Slovenia :) and our Easter tradition is that we take all the food to church for the priest to bless it with holy water (in our language we call it '"ΕΎegn"). Then on Easter we eat only the food that was blessed and the rule is you can only eat with your hands. Apart from that we also paint eggs and bake fresh bread :) I have to admit i really love Easter because it gets the whole familiy together for breakfast which doesn't happen that often anymore now that im older :( I wish you all a happy and peacful Easter! <3
@luka_brzin Luka, I think that in our country it is similar. We also have Christian traditions that are related to visiting the Church. Since I live in town, is rare to see those traditions here.
Luka Brzin
@busmark_w_nika i live in a town as well but my grandma is very old-fashioned soo i go to church with/because of her . Otherwise i don't think many young people go to church anymore since we all like to do other stuff on the weekends.
Deng Xiang
Church Services. Easter Sunday is a time for us to attend church services and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Marvin MΓ€ndle
In Germany parents hide sweets and small presents in the garden and children search for them on easter Sunday. They are telling the easter bunny was here and left the presents.
Kate Ramakaieva
I'm staying in Poland now and here the same tradition with water is alive, but not only with woman as it was before - everyone is involved. Thanksfully the weather is almost like summer, so it is fun I guess (still staying at home 😁)
@kate_ramakaieva Yeah, let's imagine that there used to be cold weather even in April and girls were thrown into the river. πŸ₯²πŸ˜­