The Curtain Falls on 2023: What's Your Big Learning?

Umar Saleem
130 replies
As we approach the conclusion of 2023, reflect on the lessons and insights gained throughout this year. What significant learnings have you acquired amidst the experiences and events of the past twelve months?

Replies

Launching soon!
The year was definitely full of personal and professional lessons. However, to be specific about the professional aspect, I believe harnessing the horse name AI was definitely a big conversation point and will definitely be one in 2024 as it grows. And the key takeaway from AI is that it’s going to stay just like the 18th century industrial revolution.
Umar Saleem
@saqib_ali_ Absolutely! Your reflection on the professional front resonates deeply. AI's prominence is akin to the Industrial Revolution of the 18th century, shaping industries and conversations profoundly. It's inspiring to see the recognition of its lasting impact. Keep embracing this transformative force, and may your journey in understanding and harnessing AI be filled with continuous growth, innovation, and success in the year ahead!
Chalie Clark
I discovered the importance of embracing change and adapting to unforeseen circumstances.
Umar Saleem
@chalie_clark Embracing change and adapting to surprises - invaluable lessons! Keep evolving, seizing new opportunities, and thriving amidst change!
Sarah Playford
Understanding the value of genuine connections illuminated the path to meaningful relationships.
Umar Saleem
@sarah_playford Discovering genuine connections leads to meaningful relationships! Keep nurturing those bonds for a more prosperous, more fulfilling life!
Andy Wong
To embrace changes and bounce back harder
angel william
The Unfolding Power of Connection: 2023 solidified my understanding of the transformative potential of connection. Witnessing the ways people used me to bridge language barriers, share experiences across cultures, and foster understanding underscored the power of AI to break down walls and bring us closer.
Oisin O'Reilly
2023 emphasized the significance of continuous learning and personal growth.
Jonathan Monroe
Nurturing hobbies and passions emerged as essential for a well-rounded life.
Felya Bilgen
Big learning for me - organic growth is key, and patience is its best ally!
Umair Zubair
my biggest learning was the power of adaptation amid uncertainty, fostering resilience amidst rapid change, and the importance of embracing diverse perspectives for sustainable progress.
Umar Saleem
@umair_zubair1 Absolutely! Adapting amid uncertainty, building resilience in rapid change, and embracing diverse perspectives are key learnings indeed. Here's to continuous growth and progress!
Savilia Lastero
Discovering the magic of mindfulness brought peace amidst life's chaos.
Umar Saleem
@savilia_lastero Absolutely! Mindfulness has been a game-changer, offering me peace amid life's chaos. It's truly magical and transformative.
Siri Nana
Grasping the art of letting go empowered me to embrace new beginnings.
Umar Saleem
@siri_nana Absolutely! Learning to let go has been empowering, opening doors to embrace exciting new beginnings. Here's to embracing change and fresh starts!
Yogita Gholap
Welcome to the era of AI - Bold and clear message from Year 2023
Steven Granata
This year highlighted the essence of gratitude and appreciating life's simple joys.
Umar Saleem
@steven_granata No doubt! 2023 emphasized the importance of gratitude and finding joy in life's simple moments. Here's to cherishing the little things!
Launching soon!
I've delved into the realm of AI, seeking to grasp its intricacies and apply my knowledge in developing AI products. I've actively engaged with tools like WriteMagicKit for AI-powered writing and various tasks, harnessing the potential of artificial intelligence to enhance productivity and creativity.
Ali Gordon
'Overnight successes' tend to be years in the making. That and the importance of showing up on the days when you don't feel like it. 20 minutes of work on a bad day can be as big an achievement as 8 hours on a good one. Keep going!
Umar Saleem
@al_gordon Indeed! 'Overnight successes' often stem from years of effort. Consistency matters. Even 20 minutes on a tough day is an achievement. Keep persevering!
Saif Ullah Khalid
Nothing remains constant.
Tara Fitzgerald
2023 was like a surprise roller coaster ride! It had ups and downs, twists and turns, but most importantly, it taught me some valuable lessons. 😊
Umar Saleem
@tara_fitzgerald Absolutely! 2023 was a roller coaster ride. But the lessons learned were invaluable. 😊
Godstime Nwabue
This year has taught me a lot; it's still amazing how I pay close attention to it and try to see what I did wrong. I understand that patience is valuable; it helps you manage time and be productive. At every stage in your life, it's fine if you don't get it right; encountering failures a number of times, and the resilience of not giving up, shows how strong you are even though the efforts you put in may not show in them. But only if you could strategize properly, you might get your A-game. Understanding people and culture is crucial and important; it can play a significant role in whatever you are doing, and lastly, communication is the key. Cheers to better years.
Umar Saleem
@godstime_nwabue Absolutely! This year brought valuable lessons: the importance of patience in managing time and productivity, embracing failures as part of growth, and the strength in resilience. Strategic planning can elevate your efforts. Understanding people, culture, and effective communication are keys to success. Cheers to better years ahead!
Murat ⚡
(Keeping a LIVE list on my 4th screen to remind myself everyday the basics of running a useful & profitable business) 1/ On Visualization I'd think hard and more often about the problem statement: What would I like to be great at? What would I like to be known for? What market/niche are you after? What problem am I solving? Who is it for? What is it for? 2/ On Getting Started I'd care less about discipline and more about generating enthusiasm. Breathing energy into my work. By painting an exciting picture of the future possibilities. By priming myself to bring energy to the table. 3/ On Action & Consistency Less planning, more execution Less pivoting, more compounding Never building something again that I'm not interested in improving over time. 4/ On Focus & Outcomes I'd spend my days doing one of two things A/ Building and improving the product B/ Talking to customers (1 to 1 marketing and selling) More focus on the 20% of activities that drive 80% of value. 5/ On Trends I'd worry less about the changing tech. And worry more about the constant human nature and needs. Technology changes, humans don't 6/ On Positioning & Differentiation I'd express my raw, instinctual, spiky opinions more. I'd be more mission oriented, trying to make a difference in customer's life. Be more confident with my unusual solutions for obvious problems. No more trying to fit the bill. I'd make my product a no-brainer. 7/ On Communication I'd do less people pleasing and more people alienating. I'd tell more interesting stories and less boring facts. No one has ever made a decision because of a number. They need a story. 8/ On Sharing & Distribution I'd do less hoarding and more caring for others Kill the EGO. It's not about me. It's about my customers. And their goals. I'd built sharing into my daily workflow. And give & share daily. Education is the best form of marketing and it's a positive sum game. 9/ On Go-To-Market Strategy & Outcomes I'd sell outcomes and not the processes or features. Outcomes that are measurable, quantifiable, time-bound results. No more talking about a quarter-inch drill bit. 10/ On Networking and Collaboration I'd try to be less of a lone genius and try harder to be part of an ambitious group of people. I'd be more involved with the communities around my interests. New motto: Send more DMs to do dope things with cool people 11/ On Clients I'd develop a through line across the customer journey ,touch point by touch point. Who is my first customer? Who is this going to be 10X better than the existing solutions? I'd fire low quality, low pay clients faster to make room for better opportunities. 12/ On Continuous Improvement I'd ship faster and more often for faster feedback loops and validation. Producing a large quantity of work in a short amount of time is the answer. And I'd be more creative in collecting feedback & data. No more developing things in my cabin for 6 months just to launch products no one is interested in. 14/ On Sales I'd be more methodical about the sales cycle? What's their first interaction with my product look like? What's the a-ha moment? What's that specific trigger that reveals the value proposition? 15/ On Profitability I'd think hard about how much I'd charge from Day 1. Then, build a product / service that would deliver at least 3X value. I'd do a simple back of the envelope path to profitability exercise before the workday begins.