Solo or teaming up for a side project? 🤝

Bren Kinfa 💎 SaaS Gems
31 replies
Sometimes two heads are better, sometimes not! What's your opinion when it comes to side projects and teaming up with others?

Replies

Billy Hoang
Teaming up. The biggest benefit for me being in teams was the ability to further my communication and leadership skills in areas I normally would not be in if I was doing it solo.
For results, a team is better than going solo
Bren Kinfa 💎 SaaS Gems
@alex_egorov "If you want to travel fast, go solo. If you want to travel far, go with a team."
Bren Kinfa 💎 SaaS Gems
@alex_egorov @billboulger Definitely! I believe both paths are viable and neither should hold you back 👍
zuhaib ashfaq
Definitely teaming up, but only if I can find people who are as passionate as me, and bring their respective values to the table. Going solo can become overwhelming pretty easily.
PRIYANKA MANDAL
@zuhaib_ashfaq Teaming up with passionate individuals who bring diverse strengths is the sweet spot. Balance is key.
Vu Nguyen
@zuhaib_ashfaq That is a good point. Definitely, the one who shares passionate, motivation,.. If you haven't found one, at least we should find an advisor, a peer founder,.. to help us avoid common mistakes (that a solo person usually hard to find himself)
zuhaib ashfaq
@vunq Absolutely, it is a good advice to get an advisor or a mentor. Going solo can bring its own challenges. But luckily there are communities for almost every niche with some good people who are always ready to help.
Ramit Koul
Launching soon!
I mostly prefer solo if it's a side project. But definitely need to team up if you want it to be more than a side project.
Martin Kristiansen
My nerdy answer is that it pretty much comes down to Amdahl's law for parallel computing :) Teaming up comes with a lot of overhead in terms of coordination and structuring the work, but you can also potentially get so much more done if you do it right. Working on your own is a lot easier if you don't really know where you are going with your idea yet.
David F
Ray Dalio says 1+1 should =3. If its not, then maybe going alone is the better route.
PRIYANKA MANDAL
@thedfigroup Absolutely, Ray Dalio's perspective makes a lot of sense. Collaboration should ideally amplify the outcome. Going solo can be a powerhouse if synergy isn't there.
David F
@priyankamandal Always good to have a sanity check - see Warren Buffet/Charlie Munger 60-year partnership - but be sure the other party adds value and joy to the endeavor.
PRIYANKA MANDAL
Agree with you. I've found solo projects great for personal exploration, but teaming up brings diverse skills and ideas. It depends on the project.
Anna Jack
I prefer team work
Jamayal Tanweer
I'm a hardcore design + marketing person, so I always team up with a technical co-founder. Also, 2 is better than one :)
Jordan Lund
@jamayal We are learning this the hard way. If I were to do it again, I would look to have a founder with design and marketing experience rather than figuring it out later down the line like we had to. I'd love if someone with your background had a look at our product and see what you think. We are live today on the products page. Ardor Fitness
Jamayal Tanweer
@jordan_lund Yea, I understand, and it's completely okay. I would love to look at your product. Good luck!
Vu Nguyen
I've been a solo founder for years, and the most important thing I learned is having a companion brings so much benefit. They may not necessarily be the dedicated co-founder, but a trusty advisor, a peer founder,.. work as well. The point is someone who you can share any struggle, discuss anything, concerns related to your journey.
AmazingSylvia
I think teamwork is better than solo only in case with great team bond.
Ugur
It's always better to work as a team. Because the team sees and solves more than it can solve alone.
Yemi Oyepeju
It depends what skills you have/lack, how much multitasking you can do and what your grand ambition is.
Jordan Lund
One interesting thing I've found is if you are interested in doing a cap raise down the line, investors like to see a founding team. Less risky investment. This is something I didn't think about at the start.