Self doubt - do you have it?

Matt Harbord
11 replies
I feel like I'm getting old with nothing to show for it. I love working for startups - some have worked out, most haven't. I've launched a number of things on my own, mostly without any real success. I wonder if it will ever click for me. Do you feel the same? Do you carry on regardless? Is there a point I should stop? We should stop? As I approach middle age I worry that I should grow up, stick with a "real" job. I assume others have felt that too? How do you know when to listen to those voices? And when to continue regardless?

Replies

Anne Broadwin
Lots, almost every day. I think self-doubt is pretty common for people who strive for the higher, and are able to do bigger things, bigger than the old self, that's how self-doubt came about - you face new problems. But that can be a good thing if you think from the bright side. Self doubt, anxiety, even depression are all very common and normal, don't be afraid, you're not alone :) In my opinion, life is a combination of peaks and pits, you fight when you want to fight, you lay back when you feel like it. Just keep carry on in the long run (like 20 years)
Sven Radavics
Hey Matt. Loads of self doubt. Joined my first startup back in 1998 as an early employee and have been bouncing around startups ever since. First time founder at 50. I'll carry on with startups - but if intribe.co fails, next stop will probably be a well funded startup. Would be happy to connect and have chat. Not a lot of people I can discuss this sort of thing with. Also interested in hearing more about WxTx.co My LinkedIn if you're interested is: https://www.linkedin.com/in/srad... Cheers, Sven
Greg Gotsis
yes and yes. Interesting to see this post at 21.
Anna Chen
Of course there is, and I very much hope to turn this emotion into motivation.
Sherry Xena
I also feel I'm getting old
Matt Harbord
Morning all! Yeah, so my opening line on reflection was a bit too melancholy... I guess, what I mean there can only really be "I don't have a successful business out of it, yet" But I have learnt an awful lot along the way... And keep learning, so I guess my message to the me who posted this, in the cold light of day is this: Keep trying things out while you're still enjoying learning. Widen your definition of success beyond just profit / users. And maybe, maybe, consider going back to work before the runway runs down entirely! 🤣 Thank you for all your replies!
Mohamed Zakarya
If you're enjoying what you're doing then just keep doing it. Self doubt is normal, it happens because our brain is programmed to fear the unknown in order to keep us safe. Hence, it keeps giving you the feeling that you won't make it and won't achieve your dreams so that you just focus on the known that is guaranteed. I know it's tough for you right now, and I can feel you because I've been there before. But trust me, this is the time that you can't give up the most.
Launching soon!
Self doubt creeps into the lives of most people when they sense that they are not going the way they like. While they may not know what they need to do to overcome self doubt, they want to know that they can.
Mr Nelson
Yes, it hits me almost everytime.
Marceric a
To say no would be to lie I am 33 years old and I have already created more than twenty projects (associative, side business, small business) and a very small percentage have worked. But it allows me to live well today. Would have been the case if I had stopped everything? I felt the doubt, and I would even say, I feel it every time I launch a product or service. But I just tell myself that Edison did not invent the light bulb on the twentieth try, and that perception is one of the keys to success. I think entrepreneurship is a muscle, a muscle that we have to work every day and all our lives, because once we start it is very difficult to stop until the goal is reached. So yes, there are thousands of bills to drop, but it really has to come from deep within. And not small voices of internal doubt, from the outside or fear.
Sidra Arif Ali
Don’t influence yourself by the negative voice of your own mind. Don’t let your mind bring you down by listening to the negative voice. Because that is your own voice and you have to bring yourself up by listening to the positive voice. Don’t run away from your problems. Face them bravely.