Prompt engineering: hype or fact? (poll)

Martina Hackbartt
6 replies
Prompt engineering is a hot topic these days, with many people talking about it and creating content around it. Some are even selling courses and predicting that there will be new jobs in this sector. It remains to be seen whether this trend will continue or whether it will ultimately fizzle out. What do you think? Is prompt engineering a real opportunity, or is it all just hype?

Replies

John Koo
There's no denying that the more specific the prompt, the better the answers. However, it doesn't seem to have reached the level of engineering. The process still seems to be a lot of trial and error.
Martina Hackbartt
@imjohnkoo Yep, I 100% agree. I wouldn't say there is a clear recipe to receive a certain output. Sometimes I think my prompts are great but the output says otherwise🫢
Dan Cleary
As Greg Brockman said "prompt engineering is the art of communicating eloquently to AI". Even in the case of AGI, the communication layer will (probably)always exist. You can also make a really rational counter here. As models get smarter and smarter, we won't need to craft "perfect prompts" and it will become as easy as it is to tell someone the sky is blue. I'm not sure, but I actually tend to agree with the pro-prompt engineering side of things We are betting on that future and building Prompthub to help (https://www.prompthub.us)
Krishna Kumar
more hype than fact
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
Fact, but as AI continues to grow, prompt engineering will become easier and more accessible
Martina Hackbartt
@distartin I agree, do you think there will be "prompt engineers" in the job market, or will most positions require some prompt engineering skills?