Podcasting, 30k listens later. What I've learned over the last year 🎙️

Alex Papageorge
1 reply
I've seen a lot of posts recently about getting into podcasting. First off, do it! Secondly, although I've seen a lot of posts about podcasting, it doesn't seem like there's been a lot of insight shared from people who have started a decently successful bootstrapped podcast. For those of you who have 0 experience broadcasting... This post is for you. My buddy/co-host and I had zero broadcasting or experience. But we did have a microphone and computer. Literally... all you need to get started is a microphone, recording software like Garageband and a mixer if you're feeling fancy for audio purposes. A few numbers in year 1: # of listens: 29,668 in 48 different countries; 618 listeners/episode (1st episode, we had 32 listens until episode two) = 1,831.25% increase in listenership. We launched our first episode 12 months ago from my buddy's guest room. Our podcast is about Inter Miami, David Beckham's new MLS team in... you guessed it - Miami. Now, before you laugh too hard about the MLS or think because it's a sports podcast what I'm going to share loses relevance, I can assure you the strategy remains: Here are my IV takeaways: I) Don't be afraid to be opinionated. You'll find most people actually agree with you lol. People who hate are going to hate regardless so don't let that deter you from speaking your mind. People listen to your podcast because they actually like you lol.. Crazy right?!? When you come off disingenuous, people will catch-on quick. It's a cliche, but be yourself - I promise it's good enough :) II) Don't rely on guests for growth. I see this a lot with young podcasts starting out. "I have a lot of contacts in ___ industry, I'm going to invite them on my show! Yayy". No... I would urge you to build an audience and brand yourself, before relying on others to help you. Without identity, it's going to be hard to go far. Guests will come. We've had the absolute pleasure interviewing 7 players on a professional sports franchise, but we didn't interview one player until 6 months of content. Nor did we receive any help from the club, remember all grassroots baby! III) Be prepared. My co-host and I have had quite a few "tifs" about this subject lol. There's a delicate balance of having an outline, but not being robotic. That being said, you must be prepared for a podcast episode! A skeleton of an outline with throughout questions and facts to either spark a parallel conversation, or share another point of view that is at minimum worth exploring. Don't cheat yourself, or listener! IV) Ask for reviews! We have 60 ratings on our podcast, 4.5 stars thank you very much. It's crazy, but even-though people will listen to you for hours a week they won't think to give a star rating or share a comment/review. It's unfortunate we have to do this, but ratings are really your main leg you're standing on when it comes to an outside listener that doesn't know your show. By the end of our first year/season, we ended up partnering with the actual club and actually had the opportunity to host 3 live pregame shows and one half-time show.. on TV! Pretty crazy experience moving from audio to TV... But that's for a different day. My point in saying this ^^ Is that you never know until you try and there's no telling what journey you're about to embark on. Hope this helps, keep making! P.s. If you're wondering about our show... check us out! https://linktr.ee/intermiamipodcast. 5 stars always appreciated 😆

Replies

Nevo David
Great tips! Maybe I should find a podcast too :) Do you have a tip on how to find podcasts to star in?