Migration from Trello to Jira - is that worth it?

Nadav Avrahami
4 replies
Hi guys! As our dev team grows, I want to improve our working methods and consider moving from Trello into Jira, especially to start working with the Scrum model. Any tips or thoughts? We use a few of Atlassian's services so it feels right to move to Jira. obviously, I'm open to new ideas and products. BTW, it's my first discussion :) Glad to be part of this community!

Replies

Vedran Rasic
Yikes! 1. Half of my team said we are mature enough to switch from Trello to Jira. 2. Fine. I got a friend to perform a migration and help us set everything up (we have 7 people in production so Jira is free for up to 10). 3. 2 months later we are still using Trello. :) Basically, it depends if you don't need to tie your code to tickets and you don't need ticket numbers, and better swimlanes it's perfectly fine to use Trello. Hope that helps :)
Max S
Moving from Trello to Jira, especially for Scrum, can definitely be worth it, especially since you're already using other Atlassian services. Jira Scrum features are pretty robust and can help streamline your development process. Just a heads-up, Migration might require a bit of planning, but it's usually doable. One tip would be to ensure you have a clear plan for transferring your existing Trello data into Jira – there might be tools or services that can help with that. It's great that you're open to new ideas and products too! If you're leaning toward exploring this transition, you're definitely on the right track. And remember, the community here is a goldmine for insights and advice, so don't hesitate to tap into that if you need any further support.
Pavel Kukhnavets
Jira and Trello are both popular project management tools, but they cater to different needs and have distinct strengths. Jira is a robust and highly customizable tool primarily designed for software development and complex project management. It offers extensive features for issue tracking, agile methodologies, and advanced reporting, making it ideal for large and intricate projects with multiple stakeholders. However, its complexity may be overwhelming for smaller teams or non-technical users. On the other hand, Trello is known for its simplicity and ease of use, making it a great choice for smaller teams, startups, and simple project management needs. So, if you want to move from Trello to JIRA or some JIRA alternative, you'd better consider the facts mentioned above.