Makers - What inspired you to create your product, and how did you come up with the idea?

Elif Duran
35 replies
I wonder about the motivation and the background story of products that inspire a lot, let's share!

Replies

Tikue Anazodo
I had spent the past few years building checkout products at Google Pay and Affirm and something that stood out to me was the fact that most merchant integrated wallet products are primarily focused on solving merchant problems (because integrated products need to sell merchants on the value of investing resources into integrating a new payment product). Very little time is actually spent on the consumer. We decided to build Kudos as a wallet that was very consumer centric, and the way we avoided the merchant integration dependency was by making Kudos work via a browser extension - it work on over 2 million sites with no merchant integration dependency across mobile and desktop browsers, helps users automatically pick the best card that maximizes rewards and hidden benefits like "purchase protection" and "trip insurance" on all those sites, doubles the rewards you earn from your credit cards on 15k partner sites (including Sephora, Booking.com, StubHub etc.) and optionally streamlines the purchasing experience through a seamless autofill experience, including CVV. We recruited a team that's mostly made up of ex Paypal, Honey and Google Pay employees who all had a shared understanding of the problem.
Tornike Phkhovelishvili
Here is the quick back-story of creating Knowledgehunt: Due to my management consultant profession, I am spending a lot of time researching the answers to my various questions. After searching for a specific topic for a few hours, I always discover a resource that wows me with its content, visuals, and insights. At some point, I started saving those unique resources in my Excel folder. Around 5-6 months ago, I decided to share my database and surface all the notable findings to the Startup community, hoping that others would find it as helpful as I do - that is how Knowledgehunt was born - a platform that curates and summarizes the best-in class Startup related resources: guides, reports, videos, courses and more Launching on PH on 29th - https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Tornike Phkhovelishvili
What is the story behing Beforesunset, Elif?
Ksenia Khriptovich
@tornike_phkhovelishvili just subscribed to the KnowledgeHunt Coming soon page. I really liked your story, looking foward to the launch!
Amal Abdullaev
We were struggling to pay off for our subscriptions while we were a seed stage SaaS startup who heavily depended on a few major SaaS subscriptions to support our operations. And we started Comfi to help SMBs and startups enjoy the annual discounts, but pay off monthly for annual subscriptions. On the other side, we help SaaS vendors close more annual plans.
Won Park
Hi Tornike Phkhovelishvili, I recommend reading, walking, coffee chatting, watching documentaries, meeting.
Saul Fleischman
Big earthquake in Japan > Fukushima nuclear reactors on fire > Japanese media feeding us lies. Truth came out in Twitter - but people were just guessing with hashtags. Tagbag.io was built to help find the "right tags" > we changed it to RiteTag.com Now RiteTag is one of what we grew out to four SaaS products. Then, 25 APIs for enterprise business.
Rishi  Kar
I was trying to make a major life decision and was feeling pretty confused and frustrated at the lack of clarity. I was waiting for take-out pizza and decided to speak out my inner dialog aloud to the voice memos on my phone. That 7 min session felt like a therapy/coaching session and I knew exactly what mattered and what were all the stories I was telling myself. Seeing how effective this was, I dove deep into the psych research, worked with coaches and psychologists and started experiment with gen AI to build 6000 thoughts app. I am going to launch soon!!
Ayesha Kazi
Any new technology brings a host of unanswered questions and fears around it. Last year, when the world began buzzing around the possibilities with ChatGPT, I was equal parts amazed and amused. While the wonder hit home, I have previously tried creating NLP models and am personally aware of the shortcomings surrounding generative AI and the ability to create out of the blue. While the rest of the industry spoke about different use cases they found themselves using AI writing tools in we thought we'd separate the form from the framework. We drafted different writing models and came up with scaleable playbooks for different copy requirements for eCommerce stores. We fit the prompt engine alongside and the result was quite a success on PH. I think its important to know why you've spent time on solving a particular problem. I felt more confident telling the world that ChatGPT is not going to take over the world of content and copywriting :) Launched on PH on 15th February - https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
David Cagigas
We used to use at least 5 different SaaS solutions to get through in our work day. A different solution for meetings and communications, different for documentation, another one for files and sharing, etc. We were tired of maintaining multiple log ins and passwords. If one of us was to locate a specific file, they wouldn't know if to check in email attachments, teams folder or Dropbox or Drive. It felt very inefficient. That's when we decided to build something that solves all of this and increase productivity, reduce stress.
Imran Razak
My own life problems. Someone’s problem is another person opportunity. Spotting problems in your own life.
Swapratim Roy
Here's the story behind Marvin XR During covid lockdown, I was ordering quite few things online and realized that some of them lack clarity while shopping. The idea of using AR for better user experience and confidence came around then. Then I was looking for a way how people can use augmented reality without downloading mega apps and high end smartphones. Low entry barrier can help millions easily to validate their choice of products before buying. At the same time, normal ecomm sellers are mostly non-tech people. So a quick way for them to create AR experience for their customers would be a win-win situation to adopt it faster. Combining those two visions - I founded marvinxr, a SaaS platform where anyone create an AR experience within 2 minutes, without zero knowledge in coding or other tech. They can publish it right away and share their AR experience with to the world. All the while, users can use AR simply using their browsers, even using older mobiles, even a few years old ones too. Just click a link or scan a QR - 3D view and AR experience comes asap. Business can transform and scale their business from all the generated KPIs associated. Thus they can save tons of money, effort while competing with big brands and create an impact. Planning to launch in Product Hunt soon- www.marvinxr.com
We were constantly finding ourselves asking each other where certain files were located, who had access to them and so on. That’s when Wildan, our CTO, proposed an idea of building a search engine that could scan all of our apps and find any needed data with a simple title or keyword search. Within just two weeks, we developed a working prototype that allowed us to integrate apps and search through them with ease. This is story of klu. Right now we have public beta so if anyone want to try it out and provide us feedback, we would really appreciate it :) https://klu.so/
Shaur ul Asar
We're excited to announce that our new product, AI Detector by Content at Scale, was awarded Product of the Day! πŸ† https://www.producthunt.com/prod... We were motivated to create the AI Content Detector because we noticed a growing demand for an AI-powered tool that could efficiently detect content. As developers who are passionate about our work, we spent countless hours researching, brainstorming, and testing to make this product a reality. πŸ§πŸ’­πŸ’» πŸ’¬ We would love to hear your feedback and suggestions for improvement as we continue to enhance our solution. Thank you for your support! πŸ™πŸ˜Š
Alex Espinoza
I've been working for a while in the Shopify ecosystem helping brands as a developer. This has opened my eyes to the many different difficulties and issues store owners run into. Problems to solve = lots of product and SaaS ideas!
S.N.Dineshan
I have worked on web and mobile app projects. After a few projects, I started to wonder about the level of resources spent on every project to support multiple platforms. That's why I decided to start Streos a No-code designer to build native multiplatform apps
Karthik Tatikonda
When we are launching Drotion (our previous product) on product hunt, we had a lot of doubts about how to launch it and what are the tips to launch it. We spent a lot of time on it. That's when we thought of building LaunchPedia where we interview successful creators of Product Hunt and share their launch strategies on our website. What about you?
Graham VanScyoc
To fill an apparent void and fix a problem my friends and I have dealt with! My friend and I grew up playing video games and met a lot of others through the medium. As you grow up and find more to play your backlog gets out of hand and is hard to track. Asking around I realized many were still using Word or Excel to track the games they play let alone rate them and review them. Looking online did not reveal great results either as most are still looking for a better way. Together my business partner and I are launching a website for gamers to track what they play, connect with fellow gamers, and share the experience.
Av Utukuri
Remote meetings are boring, tiring and disengaging most of the time, to change this we developed a product that makes remote meetings fun, engaging and productive. Check out https://vizetto.com/.
James Tedy
I'm using daily expense tracker daily and i can code, so i thought why not build my own with the features that i want.
Mehmet AvcΔ±
As we move towards a cookieless future, building a privacy-focused UX analytics tool is crucial. Users are more cautious about being tracked and analyzed online. We designed a tool that enables us to gather insights without compromising privacy by anonymizing user data. It helps us maintain trust and transparency with customers and stay competitive in the future.
Michael Mac
I wanted to make Twitter but better. I feel like I can find a better way for Twitter to run so I created a Twitter Alternative, Host : https://www.producthunt.com/prod...