Launching on Product Hunt: The Dos and Don'ts

Leo Wendler
5 replies
All of us have been there or are currently preparing for the big day 🚀 reading through tons of articles on how to get it right and end up at the top of the list at the end of the day. When I recently, started to plan our relaunch I thought "How great would it be to have a list of Dos and Don'ts". Do: Build a Pre-Launch Buzz Generating excitement and anticipation before your actual Product Hunt launch can be a game-changer. Consider building a mailing list, reaching out to your existing user base, or leveraging social media to create a buzz. Teasers and sneak peeks can work wonders in getting people interested and ready to support your launch. Don't: Neglect Engagement with the Community On the flip side, one common "don't" is underestimating the importance of active engagement with the Product Hunt community. Simply posting your product and disappearing won't do you any favors. Engaging with comments, answering questions, and showing appreciation for feedback can be the difference between success and obscurity. Now, I'd love to hear from you! Share your experiences, successes, and lessons learned when launching on Product Hunt. What strategies have worked wonders for your product, and what pitfalls should others avoid? Let's learn from each other and help fellow hunters thrive on this exciting platform. 💡👇

Replies

Sabin Thomas
@leo_wendler exactly right! pre-launch engagement is an absolute necessity. I always am scouring the comments to see if there are feature requests from users that would be cool additions to the product roadmap.
Leo Wendler
@sabinmthomas That is a great way to get already feedback to your product. How do you prioritize those feature requests and decide what your team is going to build and what not?
Daniel Zaitzow
Still pre-launch and we are doing a variation of what you're saying. Rolling out to our beta cohort / mailing list first and soft selling them on engaging with the PH launch campaign. Over the past month and a half I've been trying to build genuine community on here / with likeminded individuals... hoping that should translate to some buzz when we do go public. Oftentimes I get unsolicited requests / inmail asking for help and although that is fine / commonplace / everyone is busy - I don't see think that approach working as well as people who are actively engaged in the community. Just an observation and I might be way off!
Leo Wendler
@dzaitzow What are your tips to build a genuine community on PH?
Daniel Zaitzow
@leo_wendler Great question and I think its ever evolving but try being yourself on here. From my perspective this community is (or tends to be) startup folks, creators, visionaries who are genuine about offering their own insight so just try to fit into that ethos and you should be fine. Beyond that I think showing real support for those who have supported you or are willing to support you goes a long way. Spamming "Congrats on the launch!!" is something that I was guilty of on day one but now I don't see much value in that so try to offer as much insight as you can while interacting.