Launch in Product Hunt for creating a community, or create a community and then launch ๐Ÿค”

Manuel Ernesto Garcia
15 replies
Launching a product on product hunt has its science, you have to launch it at a certain time and follow some steps so that the launch reaches the largest number of users. Do you think that the product should be initially launched outside Product Hunt and then, when you have a community, launch it on product hunt to take advantage of their support or launch it directly on Product Hunt to grow initially?

Replies

Nidia Hdez
I try to work in the future on launch my product Any suggest me
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
Hi @nidia_hdez I think there are a lot to do before launch a product. Take a look at this small guide https://mobilemonkey.com/blog/pr..., maybe you find something helpfully. For my part, I think it is a good idea to first launch the product outside of product hunt and create a small community with the user that are using the solution to have that support on launch day. Regards.
Rich Watson
I'd imagine it's easier to have a successful launch when you have an existing community already.
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
@richw I agree with you, I think the best is to initially look for early adopters outside the platform, make some iterations of the product and then launch in Product Hunt
Yaddiel Samper
Maybe building a minimum viable community (MVC maybe this term doesn't even exist ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚) is a viable option first because they can offer strategic support
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
@yaddiel_samper I think you created a new therm ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ช. Yes, I agree, I remember the first time I launched a product I simply came and launched it, and got some votes and some interactions, but if I have had a community it would definitely have been different.
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
In my opinion we should initially create a community around our product before launch, work on the commitment with our users, and then they will be the ones who give us that initial push that is needed for launch day.
Jasper Ruijs
You are describing the chicken and egg paradox of Producthunt. A) I use Producthunt as an MVP tool to test if I can spark the interest of a new community. B) But you could also use Producthunt to onboard new members of an existing community. Most communities are niche-based; the Producthunt community is a group of innovators; meaning that the people here aren't looking for finished products. Hence I like the type A approach. If I already had a community, I would go to Appsumo. In short, not every community is a fit with the Producthunt network.
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
Excellent observation @jas801 !! I agree with you about the users that we can find in product hunt are not from a specific niche, so it can be a good way to initially show a project among technology enthusiasts. Besides this, I think it is good to try to do at least some preliminary work before launching in Product Hunt and try to have some users who can support the launch on launch day, being able to count on some initial votes to be able to position the application a little in the list is a good advantage.
Flawnson Tong
If you can, I'd recommend building a community first then launch. It helps so much to have the social proof of a pre-existing userbase. Good luck!
Geri Mรกtรฉ
Depends on if a successful launch matters to your business. To my team it's not really our priority, if anything, we prioritize community over the Product Hunt launch. The launch is temporary, the community is a lasting investment. And you never know who pays attention to your work, including Product Hunt users.
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
@geri_mate I totally agree, the launch can generate a peak in the product, but it is temporary, the community remains.