Is artificial intelligence worrying or genius?

Tony Grand
20 replies

Replies

Shi Ling
I would say both. But I lean into optimism that AI would bring a lot of good in many area where the work requires skilled professionals that are in short supply. AI can be a very powerful augmentation that assists humans in complex analytical tasks. For example, AI used to analyze medical images can help medical professionals identify areas of concerns more quickly. In the software industry, the demand for software engineers far outstrips the supply by many many multiples, and that's where AI code generation or AI co-pilots can help to speed up code development, particularly when it comes to generic components within an application or automating tests. AI is definitely a threat to some jobs for sure, but that has always been true for every kind of technology. So it's a bland argument to say that AI is worrying because it will replace jobs. And I believe humans are very resilient and adaptable, we'll always find new ways of working. Where I'm most concerned is in education. Will AI be the means or the ends? Some students may use AI as a on-demand teacher to learn from and improve their skills, while other students may abuse AI to simply get the desired grades they want without actually learning anything. And how will educators know when a student who submits an assignment had put in their own efforts or was the assignment completely done by an AI? The job of being an educator has gotten more complicated.
Nick Mazikov
Hardly worth worrying about the AI eventually leading to the end of the world :)
GamerSeo
Nothing to worry about for now. Artificial intelligence is still underdeveloped.
Launching soon!
We are seeing people benefitting from using AI in terms of more automation and increased efficiency. That depends on how it is used. Artificial intelligence can be used for good and bad purposes, so it can be seen as worrying or genius, depending on the context.
Minha Nadeem
I guess both, depends on your perspective. If its making your job easier, then yes. If its putting your job security at risk, then the other way around.
Tahjia Chapman
Neither. My work involves use of AI for automation to increase efficiency. On the other hand, misuse for malicious hackers is the biggest problem I see right now. AI can create malicious codes and phishing emails... but I remain optimistic.
Jasper Ruijs
Watch this video on
AI is faaaaaaaar from every reaching consciousness. Maybe we can program it think it is consciousness but unless we give it the embodied experience it will not be able to go beyond the computational ideas of this world.