Is AI artist a real artist?

Zeng
24 replies
How do you think AI will change the art world in the future? Is AI capable of creating works of art that are truly original and unique?

Replies

Peter Kowalczyk
In a way, it is an artist. I like to believe that we all are artists 😃
Albert Lin
@tom_nick1 Exactly this. Writing inputs for AI art is like communicating in a foreign language. The number of revisions needed to create a masterpiece is astonishing and the difference between a good piece and a great piece my be a single word. Writing prompts for AI art is more art that science.
phprunner
I think AI artist is a regular artists what no-code to traditional coding. Both are needed and they will only become more popular in the future.
Anna
AI is great but it’s impossible without human input I think. The art is not just a pretty picture, it’s an idea behind it We might see a great combination of human+AI art 🤔
Chetan Natesh
@horovody Bulls eye - art will not be something we just consume, it will be something we take part in. With the metaverse on the horizon (no pun intended) we will probably be "in" the movie or "in" the music video or "in" the painting.
Chetan Natesh
Definitely this is possible, there are already studies on this , the general term is called codeart. The creativity will come from how you design the AI.
Rupert Denton
I don't think anybody or anything is capable of creating art that is truly original or unique. Everything is ultimately a footnote to something else. I
Today AI is capable to produce new content by looking at existing data. So, AI can generate original and unique work. Furthermore, the uniqueness of the work is increasing exponentially thanks to new data every day coming and increasing neural network connections. In short, yes :)
Zeng
@noyanidin Thanks for your input. Yes. AI is getting better at the images, with the precise and unique prompts. A masterpiece can be created.
Arpan
I think AI will assist the artist but never replace it.
HiramFromTheChi
Your last question in particular is interesting, because what is "truly original and unique"? Is there anything original anymore? What's considered to be "unique"? Isn't everything an adaptation of something from the past? Isn't everything inspiration from something that was created before? Artificial intelligence is using massive data sets (existing art and life) to create the prompt it thinks you want. It may be unique in that it made it, but it's no more unique if you or I tried to make it with our own vision/experience/interpretation of the prompt. So we go back to—what is "unique" when it comes to art? It's all subjective. One of my favorite lyrics of all time: "No idea's original, there's nothing new under the sun It's never what you do, but how it's done"
Zeng
@hiramfromthechi Thanks for your kind reply Hiram. This is detailed. I like the lyrics you included.😊