How do you prioritise your ideas?

Sergei Petrov
31 replies
Please share where you store your ideas, how do you prioritize them and how do you get them into work?

Replies

Maria Gonzalez
I go by market demand and ease of execution.
Sergei Petrov
@mary_gonz8 Oh, interesting. Can you tell me more about how this affects the estimation? Do you have your own system?
Sergei Petrov
We are developing a smart assistant to collect a bank of ideas and prioritize them. Maybe you are already using something similar?
I am just looking at my yellow notes on the table :D paper and pen still work for me haha
Sergei Petrov
@sandradjajic Good approach! I also write down my own ideas first. And only the formed ones I add to the board and further to the work of the team.
I keep my ideas in a digital notebook where I jot down anything that comes to mind. To prioritize them, I look for ideas that align with my current goals and projects. If an idea seems like it could have a big impact or solves a pressing problem, it gets bumped up the priority list. Once I've selected an idea to work on, I break it down into smaller tasks and put them on my to-do list.
Sergei Petrov
@akanksha_hunts Looks like a well-established workflow. Are there situations when you do tasks with lower priority earlier for various reasons? Would alerts and reports on your ideas and priorities help you?
Shivangi Awasthi
Prioritising ideas that align with my current goals and plans. I write my random ideas in my notebook and break them into small goals. Old but Gold approach.
Sergei Petrov
@shivangiawasthi Great! Are there any things that could help you improve or automate this process?
Launching soon!
I also think about the desirability of my ideas. Will people actually want to use them? Will they solve a real problem?
Sergei Petrov
@qudsia_ali Do you analyze and retrospective of your ideas?
Daniel Zaitzow
If I can do them within 10 minutes - I try to complete them ASAP to get them off my mental radar. After that I time block as best I can. I think it depends if the ideas are actionable ideas or conceptual ideas. The conceptual/ideation stuff you should block off and limit the time as best you can. The actionable ideas - pen to paper (time block again) and chip away at them.
Sergei Petrov
@dzaitzow Hey Daniel. How do you track the progress of your ideas? Is there any system?
Daniel Zaitzow
@sergeipetrov I keep them in notion organized by section or department - The main page of that folder I use for ideation
Sergei Petrov
@dzaitzow Thanks for the answer, Daniel. Do you have any needs or ideas on how this process could be improved and automated?
Daniel Zaitzow
@sergeipetrov Likely at scale it will ned to be improved but if we're under 20 employees I feel like it should be fine.
Freya
I prioritize my ideas based on their impact, feasibility, and urgency. I also consider the feedback from my team and users.
Sergei Petrov
@rania_judd Are there situations where you would like to share your idea with someone on the team and get a rating or feedback?
Tyler Scott
I use a spreadsheet and organize them into categories. If I'm really swamped, I'll use Cost-Benefits Matrix to help me prioritize.
Sergei Petrov
@scottlabsai Nice! Would you use a dedicated solution to generate and evaluate your ideas?
Oeneril
Ideas that I find interesting are written in chatGPT with prompts to be discussed between the characters (as the donor and the want) and both sides are brushed up. then I will interview professionals in each field.
Sergei Petrov
@oeneril Wow, what a modern approach. Does it help you improve your idea success statistics? What percentage?
Oeneril
@sergeipetrov It is very experimental yet. however by letting the characters of chatGPT discuss the idea over and over again, I could figure out blind spots and points of over-optimism. It can speed up the decision of whether an idea should be implemented or rejected.
Katarina Stanley
My favorite thing to do when I have a lot of ideas is write them all down in Notion. I categorize them based on three different levels: personal, educational, and professional. I do something similar to the “to-do” list hack that I heard one time, where you delegate tasks for a later date if they require more time/energy than you can give in the moment, do tasks the moment you think of them (in this case, chip away at them, so to speak), or nix the task if you don’t find it feasible. This allows me to be real with my ideas and thoughts, helps me think critically about tasks, and lets me give space and time to the ones that truly matter.
Sergei Petrov
@kctoaurn Amazing! Thanks Katarina. Do you have cases when you need to share with someone, get feedback or reports and reminders on some of them? So that the idea lives in the background, is in progress and does not disappear?